questions about ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnUC33

A Stinkin Conservative
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be MS1 this upcoming fall. Due to a recent visit to an ENT, I am really interested in that field of study. Even in reading and trying to diagnose my condition myself, I found all the information very interesting. Moreover, I have no idea how competitive it is to get into a ENT program or even how long a residency usually lasts. I really don't even know what a fellowship is. If anyone could take the time to give me the answers to those questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I do have an aside question though. I was recently suffering with vertigo, so I went to the ENT above mentioned. He diagnosed me with BPPV or maybe Meniere's. He told me to stay off caffeine and watch my sodium for the rest of my life. So far, I've had drastic improvement. Moreover, I am a chocolate lover. I know chocolate contains caffeine, but is the amount in chocolate enough to cause concern with my condition?

Members don't see this ad.

Oto lasts 5 years. Its the best subspecialty field. No, really, ask anyone. They'll all say that they would've gone oto if they could. Actually, its a little competitive, so I would try to get some research (case reports, lit reviews, talk to an oto staff) started by the end of your second year.

Fellowships are available after residency. They last 1-2 years.