Questions about Ehrlichia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Costa Rica and spend most days rescuing dogs off the street. Costa Rica has over 1 million street dogs so I keep quite busy. My question is about Ehrlichia.

This is a HUGE problem here and I have lost so many dogs to this it is beyond comprehension. I am even now fighting it in no fewer than 12 dogs. Doxycycline seems to work to knock it out the first time around, if you are in time to catch the symptoms, but the second time they may contract it they don't do so well, and if they get it a third time, it is more or less a death sentence.

My question is when will a vaccine be ready?!? All my dogs get treated with Frontline or Advantix but truth be told the product does not seem to work in this tropical environment (not even for a day) and because of the weather ticks are a year round problem.

I NEED HELP! As I understand it this has been a sickness that has been known about since the 70's, why has no vaccine been figured out in all these years?

So my questions
1) How soon can I expect a working vaccine?
2) Is there anything in the states I don't know about regarding treatment that I could be doing?

I don't want to loose a single other baby. Its a horrible cruel death. Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you treating with Doxycycline currently?

Closed--SDN is not for medical advice, even about stray animals.

Performing literature searches and consulting local veterinary professionals is probably your best bet. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.