Questions about Cons of Derm and Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTU Surgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Third year med student exploring dermatology right now while working in an outpt Derm clinic at the VA.

This field seems great--nice people, interesting and visual pathology, procedures both in the office and the OR. While very few people enter Derm residency and dislike it or leave, what are the main reasons that anyone would end up in that boat? I guess the heart of the question is, what cons are there to this field that seems so great (besides it being competitive to get in)?

Second question: how do applicants fare that have stellar grades and test scores, but while they have some solid research experience and awards, it is in another field? If one gets a good clinical Derm letter and starts to pick up small Derm research projects, does this do much to ameliorate having done plenty of research, just not in anything close to dermatology?

Thanks to anyone willing to answer one or both questions.

Members don't see this ad.

For the second question, any type of research experience and awards is great--however dermatology research is even better as it demonstrates a commitment to the field of dermatology, and not just a commitment to research. Even if you did a small case report or some poster presentations in dermatology, that would send the message that you are committed and transitioning to dermatology research. However I would not expect a candidate with "stellar grades, test scores, research experience, and awards" to go unmatched in dermatology as long as you did something to demonstrate a commitment to the field.

Reactions: 1 user
For the second question, any type of research experience and awards is great--however dermatology research is even better as it demonstrates a commitment to the field of dermatology, and not just a commitment to research. Even if you did a small case report or some poster presentations in dermatology, that would send the message that you are committed and transitioning to dermatology research. However I would not expect a candidate with "stellar grades, test scores, research experience, and awards" to go unmatched in dermatology as long as you did something to demonstrate a commitment to the field.

Is this ok if we start out with research in a different field and get derm pubs/posters done later on (M3, M4)? I'm still unsure about which specialty to pursue but derm is in the top three. Edit: i am an M1.

Is this ok if we start out with research in a different field and get derm pubs/posters done later on (M3, M4)? I'm still unsure about which specialty to pursue but derm is in the top three. Edit: i am an M1.

Lots of applicants have prior research in different fields, as long as you can articulate a commitment to Derm, should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user