Questions about applying while active duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awin31

Reaction score
I am currently active duty (commissioned out of an academy this past may) and am trying to apply to medical school in the 22/23 cycle. I applied as a cadet but ultimately did not get accepted. I've looked everywhere and contacted hpsp recruiters and can't seem to get straight answers about what the process looks like. I have all the prereqs done and have an MCAT score I would like to apply again with before it expires (I took it June 2020). Any help would be great

Members don't see this ad.

What branch? I’m Air Force and I also can’t get a straight answer about HPSP. For USU, you will need a letter of release. That has been somewhat more straight forward.

What exactly are you trying to do? You're commissioned, designated, and have orders? Where are you trying to go exactly? You need to apply and get accepted to med school and you also need approval to be released by your command when school starts. Since you're academy your contract is 5+ years and you just started, so you need to start talking to your command about your intentions and see if they would even support your goals because they have absolutely zero obligation to release you early from your contract to go to school. Getting accepted to a med school, even USU, and or getting HPSP won't save you. Those aren't trump cards to getting out of your orders or your active obligated service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered trying to apply to USUHS instead? Going to a professional/graduate program after graduating from the academy is certainly doable, but it’s uncommon. However, I wouldn’t necessarily rule out going to med school even after recently graduating from the academy though. A friend of mine graduated from USAFA and went straight to PA school w/o a gap year.

What branch? I’m Air Force and I also can’t get a straight answer about HPSP. For USU, you will need a letter of release. That has been somewhat more straight forward.
I'm also AF. USU is my top choice but unfortunately when I applied for this year's entering class I only made it to the wait list and didn't get picked up. So you got your commanders letter of release already? Are you applying for 21/22 or the 22/23 cycle?
What exactly are you trying to do? You're commissioned, designated, and have orders? Where are you trying to go exactly? You need to apply and get accepted to med school and you also need approval to be released by your command when school starts. Since you're academy your contract is 5+ years and you just started, so you need to start talking to your command about your intentions and see if they would even support your goals because they have absolutely zero obligation to release you early from your contract to go to school. Getting accepted to a med school, even USU, and or getting HPSP won't save you. Those aren't trump cards to getting out of your orders or your active obligated service.
As of right now I am a commissioned officer in tech school and I would like to apply next May for the 22/23 cycle because it is the last cycle my MCAT will be good for. When exactly should I start talking to commander and seek release? Is it as I apply or do I need to have their blessing before that? Also it's not exactly "getting out of" my owed service I didn't think. I thought my current time owed would just be "paused" essentially and tacked on to service accrued form going through med school on their dime
Have you considered trying to apply to USUHS instead? Going to a professional/graduate program after graduating from the academy is certainly doable, but it’s uncommon. However, I wouldn’t necessarily rule out going to med school even after recently graduating from the academy though. A friend of mine graduated from USAFA and went straight to PA school w/o a gap year.
I applied to USUHS for this year but only got waitlisted. A lot of my classmates did go to medical school right out of the academy but applying as a cadet is much easier/has WAY less paperwork than applying as active duty does

Last edited:
I'm also AF. USU is my top choice but unfortunately when I applied for this year's entering class I only made it to the wait list and didn't get picked up. So you got your commanders letter of release already? Are you applying for 21/22 or the 22/23 cycle?

As of right now I am a commissioned officer in tech school and I would like to apply next May for the 22/23 cycle because it is the last cycle my MCAT will be good for. When exactly should I start talking to commander and seek release? Is it as I apply or do I need to have their blessing before that? Also it's not exactly "getting out of" my owed service I didn't think. I thought my current time owed would just be "paused" essentially and tacked on to service accrued form going through med school on their dime

I applied to USUHS for this year but only got waitlisted. A lot of my classmates did go to medical school right out of the academy but applying as a cadet is much easier/has WAY less paperwork than applying as active duty does
I am applying for this current cycle. I have not been able to get my commander’s release signed yet. In my experience, it is pretty difficult to get stuff signed by a wing CC. However, I have also noticed that it is easier for officers to get things signed.

But also, the release memo discusses ADSC, which I assume you have from your time at USAFA. Honestly, if I was you I would talk to your supervisor and CC when you get to your first duty station and see if they are supportive of this, or if they want you to serve out your ADSC first.

The POC for this is the Air Force Physician Education Branch. The section on their site about medical school scholarships will probably be able to answer the other questions you have. Also make sure you review AFI 41-110, which covers eligibility for USU/HPSP. That office is pretty good about answering emails too, if you have questions that no one else can answer.

Reactions: 1 user