question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniMini

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do second round applicants have a worse chance of getting in?

I'm not a second round applicant myself, but I'm debating whether or not to apply this round. It would be late in the round, and I'm not confident about my application, but I'm getting pressure from my family to apply THIS round. So if I do it, in a way just to please them, and also for the slim chance I get into a school I really want to attend, but DON'T get in anywhere... I'll be applying second round, but would it look bad to them that I didn't get in the first time?

Thanks guys and girls for any insight you can give me. I'm really stressed out over whether or not to apply this round. :(

Members don't see this ad.

the exact same thing happened to me last year. My mom was pressuring me to apply when without a degree, and I showed her the chances and she still urged me, even though it was late (probably Jan.) in to the application pool. I hadn't even taken the OAT, and had only shadowed an optometrist for a couple of hours.

After speaking with my counselor, she suggested that I wait. I too was unsatisfied with my application, and with my chances. I am now applying, after doing research on all of the schools that I am applying to, as well as visiting a couple of them. You definately want to prep yourself for the application process, it is a very daunting process, and if you aren't 100% satisfied with your application, its gonna show on your application...but that is just me.

this is a difficult question...The director of admissions at SCCO actually said that reapplicants have an advantage. I would take this statement with a grain of salt though. The second time around you would have to show improvement and what you did over the year to strengthen your application. If you ask them what you can improve and then actually do it, it shows your dedication to the profession and I think could be a plus. Hope these thoughts help!

the exact same thing happened to me last year. My mom was pressuring me to apply when without a degree, and I showed her the chances and she still urged me, even though it was late (probably Jan.) in to the application pool. I hadn't even taken the OAT, and had only shadowed an optometrist for a couple of hours.

After speaking with my counselor, she suggested that I wait. I too was unsatisfied with my application, and with my chances. I am now applying, after doing research on all of the schools that I am applying to, as well as visiting a couple of them. You definately want to prep yourself for the application process, it is a very daunting process, and if you aren't 100% satisfied with your application, its gonna show on your application...but that is just me.

Ahh, parents. Yeah, if I applied this round, I wouldn't have a degree yet either (I won't get it until next Spring). That's another good point I'll have to bring up with my family..

Thanks for the input. I think I should have a talk with a counselor as well..