Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do any of you know exactly what "surgical procedures" Optometrists can do in Oklahoma? The govenor of that state said that Optometrists have been performing those same procedures for many years and that the scope of practice has not been expanded. Also, do they have to be trained/certified prior to doing those procedures? If not, then I don't see how any of them would feel safe doing something that they're not trained in.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that there is an informal agreement that the optometry board will not approve further procedures for now. However, I would expect that agreement to breakdown in the future. I would not be surprised if 10-15 years from now they will be doing facelifts, breast augmentation, and trabs.

ReMD said:
Out of curiosity, do any of you know exactly what "surgical procedures" Optometrists can do in Oklahoma? The govenor of that state said that Optometrists have been performing those same procedures for many years and that the scope of practice has not been expanded. Also, do they have to be trained/certified prior to doing those procedures? If not, then I don't see how any of them would feel safe doing something that they're not trained in.

The problems are:

1) The law drafted by optometry is vague, intentionally of course.

2) A non-surgical body (Board of Optometry) makes decions about surgery. Makes sense right? :rolleyes:

Read this ASCRS news release below:

Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry Signs Optometric Scalpel Surgery Regulation

On October 29, Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry signed the Oklahoma Board of Examiners in Optometry's recently approved regulation that will allow optometrists to perform lid and eye surgery using a scalpel. The regulation was sent to the governor for his signature after its approval on October 4, 2004. Ophthalmology testified during the hearing in opposition to the proposal and held a press conference the next morning condemning the regulation. In addition, a statewide radio news story and a TV ad were run, calling on the citizens of Oklahoma to call the governor. ASCRS joined with the AAO, the AMA and other physician organizations in calling on the governor to reject it and will continue to work with them to fight its implementation.

The language of the regulation is confusing because it primarily makes the statement in terms of exclusion and exception. Therefore, careful review is required to interpret its outline of optometric scope of practice. Some surgical procedures are specifically not allowed (such as current method utilized for cataract extraction). However, many surgical procedures, as well as injections, are allowed, including:

Laser Surgery
Laser capsulotomy
Laser iridotomy
Laser trabeculoplasty
Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK)
Phototherapeutic keratectomy (PTK)
LASEK (LASIK is excluded)
Laser ablation of vitreous strand

Incisional Surgery
Radial keratotomy
Astigmatic keratotomy
Pterygium excision without graft or flap
Chalazion incision and drainage
Entropion repair
Ectropion repair
Anterior chamber paracentesis for emergency IOP reduction

Injection Procedures
Periocular (no limitation as to drug type)
Intraocular (no limitation as to drug type)

Other Surgery
Retinal detachment repair by
scleral buckle,
injection of air, gas, or other substance

There is no exclusion for cataract removal by laser technology in the future.
NOTE: A one-word change in the Oklahoma guidelines to remove 'retinal' exceptions to laser procedures would allow PRP, focal laser, and PDT.