[Question] Transcripts for PTCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

himonocat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to request for a transcript from my school institution now while I am taking physics until the end of August, or should I wait until I get the grade for the physics class I am taking?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you're applying. Do any of the schools that you're applying to have rolling admissions? What are the school-specific app deadlines? If you aren't applying to programs with rolling admissions, and your transcript can get to PTCAS in time for you to submit your app early enough to meet all of the program deadlines, it would probably be better to have the completed grade for Physics before submitting. If you're applying to programs with rolling admissions, you probably don't want to wait.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't wait for the grade, you are essentially applying without taking that class. In other words it won't help you or hurt you (unless you have too many other pre reqs outstanding). I personally always say wait for the grade unless it's your last pre req and you already have straight As.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies everyone! I am planning to apply for at least 2 rolling admission schools (deadlines December/January), sounds like it is best to submit my transcript without physics. Will schools be notified if I turn in an updated transcript to PTCAS?

Yes they will but once you e-submit your PTCAS app, you cannot do the academic update until December.

I'm not sure if August would really be that late. Considering Early admissions deadline is August 15. If it's rolling admissions I would think the school waits until they get a big stack to look at. You should call and see if you can get some insight in the process....

Your grades may actually get verified around the same time as everyone else. PTCAS is getting a bunch of grades in right now but they probably trickle in once August comes. I have also heard that they verify early admissions apps first, giving another reason why waiting may not really set you back. Just something to think about if the grade is important.

I have to wait until the first week in August to submit my final transcript because I have 3 grades outstanding and want to have a completed 4.0 in pre reqs as my gpa is avg. for the schools I'm applying. I plan to Fedex my transcript in time to make early admissions deadline. If I submit without my final grades and do not get in accepted in early admission, I would not be able to include the 3 grades in my apps to backup schools as PTCAS does not allow grade updates until December. This is another dumb rule but it is what it is.

I'm not sure if August would really be that late. Considering Early admissions deadline is August 15. If it's rolling admissions I would think the school waits until they get a big stack to look at. You should call and see if you can get some insight in the process....

Your grades may actually get verified around the same time as everyone else. PTCAS is getting a bunch of grades in right now but they probably trickle in once August comes. I have also heard that they verify early admissions apps first, giving another reason why waiting may not really set you back. Just something to think about if the grade is important.

I have to wait until the first week in August to submit my final transcript because I have 3 grades outstanding and want to have a completed 4.0 in pre reqs as my gpa is avg. for the schools I'm applying. I plan to Fedex my transcript in time to make early admissions deadline. If I submit without my final grades and do not get in accepted in early admission, I would not be able to include the 3 grades in my apps to backup schools as PTCAS does not allow grade updates until December. This is another dumb rule but it is what it is.

Thank you for your reply Grizzlyman! Definitely gave me some more insight, I will check with the school to get further verification.
I applied for the PTCAS cycle 2015-2016, my grades have transferred to my new application, but if I retook some of my pre-reqs that were verified last year, would I not be able to change my first attempt to "Retake" until the academic update? Or do I need to redo just that quarter with the class(es) that I retook?

Thank you for your reply Grizzlyman! Definitely gave me some more insight, I will check with the school to get further verification.
I applied for the PTCAS cycle 2015-2016, my grades have transferred to my new application, but if I retook some of my pre-reqs that were verified last year, would I not be able to change my first attempt to "Retake" until the academic update? Or do I need to redo just that quarter with the class(es) that I retook?

I'm not 100% sure, but it would only make sense that you can update your transcripts prior to academic update as your verification was from last cycle. I think the only reason that rule exist is to reduce their workload. Again, you'll have to check but I would think PTCAS would require your whole transcript for the update to make sure you are not conveniently picking which classes to update.