QUESTION TO UPENN DENTAL STUDENTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted904921

hi everyone, i have a question that's pretty unique and i'm wondering if it is possible!
i know that UPENN dental school is on the same campus as the 11 other schools

is it possible to take courses at other schools/get dual degrees/audit classes from the other schools too (ex: arts and science)?
please dont be condescending or sarcastic with your responses. i know that dental school will be very difficult. i was just wondering because i feel like it seems like a great opportunity if all the schools are in the same campus

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You still haven’t figured out how to use the Google machine yet? Here, let me do it for you:

please dont be condescending or sarcastic with your responses

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Is someone paying for your schooling? No? I wouldn’t do any dual degree that’ll cost you more tuition. Going to UPenn for dental school will already leave you $500,000+ in debt and you now want to add onto that?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 5 users
You still haven’t figured out how to use the Google machine yet? Here, let me do it for you:

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Is someone paying for your schooling? No? I wouldn’t do any dual degree that’ll cost you more tuition. Going to UPenn for dental school will already leave you $500,000+ in debt and you now want to add onto that?

Big Hoss
hi i already did look into that tyvm. but it only gives specific schools and not a broad range of schools and studies
what if i wanted to get a dual degree in something else besides the listed?

and tbh if ur gonna be sarcastic and condescending pls dont bother commenting here cuz its not helpful at all. my question did not ask about tuition so pls mind ur own business. it was just a curious question. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
my question did not ask about tuition so pls mind ur own business.

B93E1FD8-148B-4892-8D27-D253BF023FD0.gif

Big Hoss

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
hi i already did look into that tyvm. but it only gives specific schools and not a broad range of schools and studies
what if i wanted to get a dual degree in something else besides the listed?

and tbh if ur gonna be sarcastic and condescending pls dont bother commenting here cuz its not helpful at all. my question did not ask about tuition so pls mind ur own business. it was just a curious question. thanks.
Trust me I used to think that once I go to dental school I would take cool classes like arts, history and foreign language, those that I did not have a chance to take in undergrad.
Reality is once you go to dental school your mind will be occupied by all the academic courses that they dump on you. You will not have the energy, time or motivation to take any additional non-dental courses.

Reactions: 1 user
dental school is hard as it is. worry about getting in first and making sure you pass your classes before worrying about a second degree.

naive predents place too much emphasis on schools that let you earn extra degrees. Its just a way for them to make more money, not to make you a better dentist. An MPH is a useless degree fluff degree. as a dentist you'll know more about public health than an actual MPH.

Reactions: 3 users
Trust me I used to think that once I go to dental school I would take cool classes like arts, history and foreign language, those that I did not have a chance to take in undergrad.
Reality is once you go to dental school your mind will be occupied by all the academic courses that they dump on you. You will not have the energy, time or motivation to take any additional non-dental courses.
Thank you for your genuine response. And yeah i understand that makes sense. I do also strongly wish to take more creative classes but i guess that can happen in the future.

I don't understand why everyone here jumps for an opportunity and are so eager to putting others down instead of giving a genuine response like yours. Thank you again.

Thank you for your genuine response. And yeah i understand that makes sense. I do also strongly wish to take more creative classes but i guess that can happen in the future.

I don't understand why everyone here jumps for an opportunity and are so eager to putting others down instead of giving a genuine response like yours. Thank you again.
Haha no problem my friend! I think it's just the stigma associated with expensive private schools such as UPenn and the like. Had you not mentioned UPenn in your post people would have been more likely to give you a sincere response instead of commenting about the price.

I suggest using the very little free time that you'll have in dental school to relax instead of signing up for a course that will come with more responsibilities and extra work. My good friend taught herself piano and Spanish using Youtube during her last 2 years of d-school, so that's also something you can do. You will have the free time and the money to take whatever classes that interest you once you're a dentist. For now, just focus on dental school.

I go to Penn so I'll try to shed some insight. Penn does offer dual degrees, and if you're accepted, they're completely free for the student. However, this only applies to the ones listed on the website. So if you wanted an MBA from Wharton, you'd have to cover that yourself. Additionally, I think the MBA would add on another year - all the other dual degrees you could finish in the 4 year time period. You apply around halfway through your first year, and you have to go through an interview process. I want to say they accept around 8 ish students, but don't quote me on the exact number. You would take most of your classes during the summers off. From what I've seen so far, nobody really has any issues managing their dual degree classes with dental classes.

naive predents place too much emphasis on schools that let you earn extra degrees. Its just a way for them to make more money, not to make you a better dentist. An MPH is a useless degree fluff degree. as a dentist you'll know more about public health than an actual MPH.

The degree is free for students. The school actually loses money, so they make sure you have a legit reason for pursuing the degree.

I think it's just the stigma associated with expensive private schools such as UPenn and the like.

Trade “stigma” for “debt burden.”

Had you not mentioned UPenn in your post people would have been more likely to give you a sincere response instead of commenting about the price.

My post was sincere. Regardless of dental school, you’re going to have a hard enough time as is to pay it off. Don’t take more debt than you need to.

Big Hoss

They honestly aren’t eager to put you down. If you can do it, more power to you. I just think the majority of us read something like this and kind of chuckle. You are eager and have more energy and excitement than you probably ever will. You haven’t incurred any debt yet. We see this question, and after having gone through dental school hell, can’t imagine having done a second degree. But we don’t know you and maybe you can and aren’t worried about debt incurred. I don’t have any advice, but just want to let you know why people come off the way they do.

I think everyone is missing the message that the dual degree is free. OP wouldn’t be taking on any more debt should they pursue the degree.

Reactions: 2 users
I think everyone is missing the message that the dual degree is free. OP wouldn’t be taking on any more debt should they pursue the degree.
Sorry, didn’t see that you had mentioned that previously. Do you know anyone who does the dual degree? Doable, but damn that seems daunting.

I go to Penn so I'll try to shed some insight. Penn does offer dual degrees, and if you're accepted, they're completely free for the student. However, this only applies to the ones listed on the website. So if you wanted an MBA from Wharton, you'd have to cover that yourself. Additionally, I think the MBA would add on another year - all the other dual degrees you could finish in the 4 year time period. You apply around halfway through your first year, and you have to go through an interview process. I want to say they accept around 8 ish students, but don't quote me on the exact number. You would take most of your classes during the summers off. From what I've seen so far, nobody really has any issues managing their dual degree classes with dental classes.

The degree is free for students. The school actually loses money, so they make sure you have a legit reason for pursuing the degree.
hello! thank you so much! so the dual degree only listed are the ones that would be included in the dental tuition, but those outside of the listing would be an additional, extra tuition?
thank you so much though this was very helpful!

The most popular dual degree programs from what I can tell are the Masters in Public Health for those interested in public health, Masters in Education for those interested in teaching dentistry, and Masters in Bioengineering for those interested in developing some sort of dental related product. From what I can tell fewer people do the Masters in Bioethics, Translational Research, and Law, but people still do them. The Masters classes are usually 2 nights a week, and start over your summer after D1 year. Great deal if it would be beneficial to your career goals. You do get a discount even if you aren't one of the ~8 people who get a scholarship, but I think the key is getting out in as little debt as possible. You could always try to start your own dual degree program, but I can't guarantee you'd get any support in doing that.

The most popular dual degree programs from what I can tell are the Masters in Public Health for those interested in public health, Masters in Education for those interested in teaching dentistry, and Masters in Bioengineering for those interested in developing some sort of dental related product. From what I can tell fewer people do the Masters in Bioethics, Translational Research, and Law, but people still do them. The Masters classes are usually 2 nights a week, and start over your summer after D1 year. Great deal if it would be beneficial to your career goals. You do get a discount even if you aren't one of the ~8 people who get a scholarship, but I think the key is getting out in as little debt as possible. You could always try to start your own dual degree program, but I can't guarantee you'd get any support in doing that.
hello! thanks so much for the response! i understand that there are specific dual degree programs within upenn dental (listed on their website) but i'm curious if there is even a possibility to pursue my own dual degree (not saying i will but i am def interested) that don't have the "overlap" necessarily within the science fields, (bc i want to receive one in the arts & science dept)