Question regarding Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it's tough to get residency...but what are the critereas..
1.pharmacy GPA
2.Letter of recommendation.
3. essay..

but does PCAT have any role at all... ? do they even look at it...just wondering...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that it's tough to get residency...but what is the critereas..
1.pharmacy GPA
2.Letter of recommendation.
3. essay..

but does PCAT have any role at all... ? do they even look at it...just wondering...thanks

1. Depends on the program but from my experience at least a 3.0 is required but the higher your GPA is the more competitive you look as a candidate
2. Most require 3 letters of recommendation but I have seen some that ask for 4
3. A cover letter is required for most programs. In terms of an essay, some may require to do an essay onsite.
4. PCAT does not matter at all. The things that matter are your GPA, extracurricular activities, CV and cover letter, letters of recommendations, personality and performance on the on-site interview

Hope this helps

1. Depends on the program but from my experience at least a 3.0 is required but the higher your GPA is the more competitive you look as a candidate
2. Most require 3 letters of recommendation but I have seen some that ask for 4
3. A cover letter is required for most programs. In terms of an essay, some may require to do an essay onsite.
4. PCAT does not matter at all. The things that matter are your GPA, extracurricular activities, CV and cover letter, letters of recommendations, personality and performance on the on-site interview

Hope this helps

Just to kind of reiterate what FAMU stated, 3.0 is typically the cutoff for the more competitive programs although certainly not set in stone.

As part of the application process, I think the majority of programs require 3 recs although I've seen as many as 5. They usually also want some sort of personal statement or career plan. PCAT has no bearing whatsoever which makes sense since it doesn't test on actual pharmacy knowledge. You want to just make sure you have a competitive gpa and are very well-rounded with a very organized CV (organization involvement, leadership, community service, research, etc). Once you get an interview the playing field is more or less even again and you just have to be prepared and knock it out of the park!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for the replied....

so EC actitivies is during pharm school ?

thank you for the replied....

so EC actitivies is during pharm school ?

Yes definitely. Leadership roles are a good thing to have, as well as involvement in a research project. If you can communicate that you are well-rounded (key), great at multi-tasking, and team-player through your CV...youre golden. :thumbup:

Just a quick comment regarding extracurriculars...

Don't feel that you're doomed if you haven't participated in many extracurricular activities throughout pharmacy school. While it is very helpful, many residency programs will still consider you if you're lacking in that area.

However, if you don't have any ECs on your CV, it is vital to make up for that in other areas. Some examples might be stong performance in clinical rotations (including some higher-level projects like publication submissions), carefully-chosen references to write your letters, and diligent preparation for your interviews. Be sure that you can answer questions related to why you don't have many EC activities as well!

Bottom line...if you have a strong interview, and your CV makes up for a lack of EC activities, you can still land your 1st choice of residency program. :cool:

Sorry guys, I'm kinda in the dark about this.
What is the Pharmacy Residency?
I'm a foreign graduate, but have so far been told that I need to take the FPGEE and NAPLEX to work. Is the Residency for higher education?