Question regarding international students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cannr

Reaction score
This might be an obvious question but I am have only recently begun exploring vet school as an option so I am not very familiar with the admission process yet. In regards to US schools what is considered an international student? My instinct would be anyone who is not a US citizen or resident but most admission pages for international studnets discuss English proficiency etc. Do US vet schools consider international students anyone outside of the country or non-North American Residents/native English speakers? I am Canadian btw.

Members don't see this ad.

This might be an obvious question but I am have only recently begun exploring vet school as an option so I am not very familiar with the admission process yet. In regards to US schools what is considered an international student? My instinct would be anyone who is not a US citizen or resident but most admission pages for international studnets discuss English proficiency etc. Do US vet schools consider international students anyone outside of the country or non-North American Residents/native English speakers? I am Canadian btw.
I just applied this past cycle as a Canadian student. Every school is different, but I didn't have to take the English proficiency test for the schools I applied to (Cornell, Iowa State, Michigan State, Illinois, Wisconsin-Madison, Louisiana State). I applied through VMCAS like everyone else, but I had to convert my credits to credit hours. You'll have to ask your school how to convert your classes to credit hours. The only school that required something special was Cornell that requested I submit my transcript to WES.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me :) I went to Guelph, fyi.

Reactions: 1 user
As a Canadian, I believe you are considered international, but for many schools that puts you in the same pool as out-of-state applicants. You don’t need to take a language test. When I applied, Tufts automatically flagged all non-US residents as requiring an English proficiency test, but I simply emailed explaining I had done all my schooling in English, was a native speaker, and they took the requirement off of my portal right away.

Reactions: 1 users