Question Regarding GEP's in Aus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meatwad

Reformed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are certain medical schools in the Caribbean nowadays that accept kids without the normal pre-reqs. They usually throw them in a one year intensive pre-med curriculum consisting of the usual suspects (Bio/Chem/Orgo/Physics/English). However, I'd find it hard to believe they would be transferrable credits to the US, hence they are pretty much useless and just an extra way to make a buck for the Carib schools.

So, why am I mentioning all this nonsense about Caribbean schools, you might ask? Well, ability to get US licensure always seems to come up when people are discussing int'l med school. I've noticed that most agree that in order to receive a medical license in most US states, you need at least 90 credit hours of college courses taken before you receive your medical degree. A decent amount also supposedly require pre-med courses (Bio, Chem, etc. etc.).

With that said, how does this affect grads of Australian (yes, the topic is finally relevant!) schools, namely Americans who enter the graduate-entry programs? From my understanding, you can have a degree in English with zero science courses whatsoever; as long as you have a good MCAT/GAMSAT score, ECs, interviewing skills, etc. then you have a shot. So you may graduate med school, but due to the fact you don't have certain pre-reqs, would that mean you would be extremely limited in what states you can work in after graduation?

If any of the aforementioned points were false assumptions, please feel free to correct me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess this one was as stumper?