Question regarding Fluids and Bernoulli's Equation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeveStash

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In recently studying for the MCAT I find myself confused with difficulty finding clear cut information regarding this online.

I was doing a practice problem for physics regarding fluids in a tube which bottlenecks at some point, it was observed at the bottle neck pressure decreased and velocity increased through this bottleneck based on bernoulli's equation. I wondered how this idea of pressure/velocity applied to blood circulation. I was under the impression vasoconstriction of blood vessels increased blood pressure as well as velocity of the blood to circulate it throughout the body faster which I find contradicting after this practice problem. If someone could please help break it down for me it would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Bernoulli's equation is only valid with the following assumptions:

1. The static pressure and velocity (or flow rate) at some location is constant between the two cases being compared.
2. The flow then enters a section of the arteries where the cross-sectional area increases. Bernoulli’s alone would predict an increase in static wall pressure for the larger cross-section. (This is not entirely true - see assumption 3.)
3. No frictional losses (ie: permanent pressure loss).

The biggest offender here is #3. A real system of blood vessels has a lot of friction and you would expect this to increase as the radius decreases. Also keep in mind that Bernoulli's is just a little snapshot. It is not meant to be used for before and after comparisons.

Here is an excellent explanation from Q_Goest on physics forums (post #15)