Question regarding admission in India for Foreign Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thabo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I, as a US citizen, get an admission to a medical school in india? i was born in india but now i am a us citizen. are there seats available for foreign students? if so, do we have to take the common entrance exam (cet) like all other students? please let me know! thank you

Members don't see this ad.

hey... i dunno if this is too late but i just found ur post...umm....u wud hav to apply for the nri category and sum schools ask for the enterance exam such as aiims, jipmer, cmc vellore but others such as srmc, manipal, KIMS and JNU don't ....so u can try either way...but just as a warning the enterance exam colleges are extremly competitive and from what i hav heard there are ppl who have been preparing for it nearly 1/2 a year back so its up to u....hope this helps

I'm curious...how do these Indian entrance exams compare to the MCAT in terms of difficulty? I heard that the science portions of the AIPMT are in the essay format, which IMO is a load of BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well .. the entrance examinations are really tough for medical schools in India. They are Highly competitive. questions format might be a little easier than MCAT but the syllabus is much broader. And they are really highly competitive ,, so u may perform well on the exam but could'nt get selected. As an NRI student you can take admission in any leading medical school without appearing in the entrance exam. But you will have to pay around $50,000 for the paid seat.( one time fee only). After that tuition expenses and living expenses are very cheap so total all it is much cheaper and easier to get a degree for NRI or a foreign student.

I have one more to ask as well..this time it's regardin to the syllabus of medicine schools in India, particularly in India. As foreigners or NRI may not be able to speak the local language of the state, how then will they be able to communicate with the patients? Wouldnt that be a hassle if communication breakdowns take place during clinical rounds?

Cleopetra (or anyone else who can answer my questions),

1. The figure of $50,000 you mentioned for NRI paid seats sounds really, really cheap to me. I'm looking into private colleges in Hyderabad and from what I've researched, its more like $100,000 (or 40-50 lakhs rupees).

2. Can NRI students who are american citizens, do Post-Graduation in India after completing and obtaining their MBBS? Moreover,
- Is selection into Post-Gradutation (PG) merit based?
- Can NRI's do PG in govt. hospitals too, or are just restricted to private hospitals?

3. Lastly, can you give me a rough estimate of doctor's salaries in India today for doctors who just have MBBS and those who went on to do PG.

Thank You for your help, and I'd be very grateful for your response.

Neem Hakeem
(As they say, "Neem Hakeem khatre jaan", thats why I want to become a MBBS hakeem)

Cleopetra (or anyone else who can answer my questions),

1. The figure of $50,000 you mentioned for NRI paid seats sounds really, really cheap to me. I'm looking into private colleges in Hyderabad and from what I've researched, its more like $100,000 (or 40-50 lakhs rupees).

2. Can NRI students who are american citizens, do Post-Graduation in India after completing and obtaining their MBBS? Moreover,
- Is selection into Post-Gradutation (PG) merit based?
- Can NRI's do PG in govt. hospitals too, or are just restricted to private hospitals?

3. Lastly, can you give me a rough estimate of doctor's salaries in India today for doctors who just have MBBS and those who went on to do PG.

Thank You for your help, and I'd be very grateful for your response.

Neem Hakeem
(As they say, "Neem Hakeem khatre jaan", thats why I want to become a MBBS hakeem)

Doctors with an MBBS earn like Rs 8,000 thats like 250$. Its peanuts.