Question Re: Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihazquestionz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a school sent other people invites and hasn't offered you one, is it assumed that you aren't going to get one? I'm looking on the invites thread and a couple schools I applied to have offered invites already and I didn't get one. Do schools add more interview dates or are these essentially the only invites that go out?

This might be a noob question, our school doesn't have great guidance for residency/interview season so I'm not well educated about the details of interviewing.

Members don't see this ad.

Some programs send out invitations in waves - if you haven't received a message saying they're not going to interview you, there's a chance you may be offered a position later on in the cycle.

Some programs send out invitations in waves - if you haven't received a message saying they're not going to interview you, there's a chance you may be offered a position later on in the cycle.

Oh I see...so more interview dates might be added. I'm assuming "later on in the cycle" is Jan and Feb?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that more dates will necessarily be added, but sometimes candidates will need to cancel an interview at program A to attend one at program B, leaving program A with some open slots at their existing dates.

It's not that more dates will necessarily be added, but sometimes candidates will need to cancel an interview at program A to attend one at program B, leaving program A with some open slots at their existing dates.
Just later in the review process, not necessarily tied to dates

Ah got it. Thanks! Does it matter when you interview in the app cycle? Or just that you interview at some point?

If a school sent other people invites and hasn't offered you one, is it assumed that you aren't going to get one? I'm looking on the invites thread and a couple schools I applied to have offered invites already and I didn't get one. Do schools add more interview dates or are these essentially the only invites that go out?

This might be a noob question, our school doesn't have great guidance for residency/interview season so I'm not well educated about the details of interviewing.
If there is a program that you are particularly interested in and do not receive any interview invitation, I have heard of applicants actually reaching out to the program to communicate their interest. Specifically, this couple at my medical school were doing a couple's match and one person got an interview at MGH for anesthesia while the other didn't. They reached out to the program and the invitation was sent out the next day. They both ended up matching at MGH too. I could imagine that with such high volumes certain applications just get lost in the sauce.

You may want to discuss this with your dean first though just to make sure everything is kosher and you do it in the right way. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If there is a program that you are particularly interested in and do not receive any interview invitation, I have heard of applicants actually reaching out to the program to communicate their interest. Specifically, this couple at my medical school were doing a couple's match and one person got an interview at MGH for anesthesia while the other didn't. They reached out to the program and the invitation was sent out the next day. They both ended up matching at MGH too. I could imagine that with such high volumes certain applications just get lost in the sauce.

You may want to discuss this with your dean first though just to make sure everything is kosher and you do it in the right way. Good luck!

I figure I would wait a little bit longer before I do that. I am hoping to match at one program and am also doing an away there so I'm hoping they will show me some love.