This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would be the best plan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmleutz97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm a rising Junior pre-med/Chemistry student at a small liberal arts school in Georgia, and I currently have a 3.25 GPA. I have that because I had over-involved myself with extracurricular activities; therefore, I dropped some of my extracurriculars to get more serious about my schoolwork. If I make all A's the rest of my undergraduate career, I will finish with something around a 3.6. This coming year I will be volunteering at a major hospital in Georgia, president of the American Chemical Society, a RA, and a student ambassador for my school. So, now that you know my background in regard to my extracurriculars & GPA, I have a question.

Say I don't make all A's and finish with a 3.4. After I complete my undergraduate degree, should I get a master's degree, if so in what?

Also, should I apply to some medical schools my senior year? And if I don't get in, should I scribe at a hospital?

Should I take 2 years between undergrad and med school in order to gain a lot more clinical experience and obtain a master's degree? (Sort of a hybrid of the above questions)

You're insight will be much appreciated :)

p.s. I don't mind getting into a DO or MD school!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I'm a rising Junior pre-med/Chemistry student at a small liberal arts school in Georgia, and I currently have a 3.25 GPA. I have that because I had over-involved myself with extracurricular activities; therefore, I dropped some of my extracurriculars to get more serious about my schoolwork. If I make all A's the rest of my undergraduate career, I will finish with something around a 3.6. This coming year I will be volunteering at a major hospital in Georgia, president of the American Chemical Society, a RA, and a student ambassador for my school. So, now that you know my background in regard to my extracurriculars & GPA, I have a question.

Say I don't make all A's and finish with a 3.4. After I complete my undergraduate degree, should I get a master's degree, if so in what?

Also, should I apply to some medical schools my senior year? And if I don't get in, should I scribe at a hospital?

Should I take 2 years between undergrad and med school in order to gain a lot more clinical experience and obtain a master's degree? (Sort of a hybrid of the above questions)

Straight As in a traditional masters degree does not make you more competitive for MD schools. It would help with DO med schools which factor graduate grades into their application GPA (in which case, a hard science masters is the way to go, not an MPH or MBA). You'd be better off planning on a 5th year of undergrad or a postbac taking more undergrad coursework.

Since you'll be volunteering in a hospital to get patient-related experience, you do not need clinical employment as a scribe. You'd be better off adding non-medical community service to those in need, an important element of an application which you haven't mentioned.

You are still overloaded with ECs, considering you have some GPA repair to do. Since you have the ASC president position for leadership, I suggest you drop the student ambassadorship.

It's premature to advise you on when to apply to med school. You're not in a hurry. Your goal is to wait to apply until your application is the best it can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

p.s. I don't mind getting into a DO or MD school!
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention