Question on Non-Traditional Application dream as a soon to be Software Engineer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monsterbasher

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a current Comp sci major in college who is going to graduate with a job in NYC. Ever since I was a senior in HS I have always thought about medical school and recently realized (especially with the coronavirus) that this is something I really want to do. I've thought about the pros and cons, but the work on campus and the work I am going to do after graduation all align with my ideal of helping people. I want to take this further and really do something that directly impacts people and be an expert on the human body.

My plan is to work a couple of years and then do a formal post-bacc program, since I have never taken any science classes, somewhere in NYC. As a software engineer, I am afforded the opportunity to afford this both in money and time, but I realize this will be extremely challenging to balance with a full-time position.

My question is, say I get close to all As on my all post-bacc classes, what should my action plan be to get into a Allelopathic medical school and if its still a possibility with my undergrad GPA?

School: very reputable public undergraduate

GPA: 3.58 (first two 1/2 years did not know how to study but managed to ace my classes in the latter half) I received an A in Calculus 3 and A- in Statistics

Research: Honors thesis in Comp Sci and several independent research projects with grants funded by the school.

Shadowing: A little shadowing from high school (about 20 hours?)

No clinical volunteering but plan to take an EMT class

No MCAT

ORM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm a current Comp sci major in college who is going to graduate with a job in NYC. Ever since I was a senior in HS I have always thought about medical school and recently realized (especially with the coronavirus) that this is something I really want to do. I've thought about the pros and cons, but the work on campus and the work I am going to do after graduation all align with my ideal of helping people. I want to take this further and really do something that directly impacts people and be an expert on the human body.

My plan is to work a couple of years and then do a formal post-bacc program, since I have never taken any science classes, somewhere in NYC. As a software engineer, I am afforded the opportunity to afford this both in money and time, but I realize this will be extremely challenging to balance with a full-time position.

My question is, say I get close to all As on my all post-bacc classes, what should my action plan be to get into a Allelopathic medical school and if its still a possibility with my undergrad GPA?

School: very reputable public undergraduate

GPA: 3.58 (first two 1/2 years did not know how to study but managed to ace my classes in the latter half) I received an A in Calculus 3 and A- in Statistics

Research: Honors thesis in Comp Sci and several independent research projects with grants funded by the school.

Shadowing: A little shadowing from high school (about 20 hours?)

No clinical volunteering but plan to take an EMT class

No MCAT

ORM

Yes, it is totally possible for you to get an acceptance to an MD program. Your cGPA isn’t strong but at a 3.58 also isn’t a huge liability. If you can manage to raise it to a 3.6 or 3.7 you’ll be in good shape. You also don’t need straight As in your postbac but it would help (I’ve seen many postbac students drop out after a B thinking their chances were over, I have had several).

Your plan will need to include 3 pieces: prereq classes, MCAT, and clinical/non clinical/ research experiences. For your prereqs you can find formal programs or take classes informally at many universities. I’ve had friends go the formal route and complete all prereqs in 12 months but they paid a significant premium ($40k+). You can also enroll in local universities that offer classes a la carte which would enable you to take a few classes per semester while pursuing other things. I did a semi formal program with all classes being at night which enabled me to work full time, volunteer, and take classes. Downside of this plan is that it takes longer.

Once you finish your prereqs you will need to take the MCAT. A lot of folks underestimate the MCAT and talk about scoring in the 90th percentile. These folks tend to forget that most other test takers, with whom their scores are scaled, have also been preparing for the MCAT for months and months. My point is, don’t underestimate the MCAT. Take the time to prepare and o lay sit for the exam when you are ready. Do not plan on a retake.

The next piece of your app will be your experiences. You will need clinical experiences to demonstrate that you understand what you’re getting into in the medical field and non clinical experiences where you demonstrate altruism and ability to work with less fortunate communities than your own. Another popular EC is being involved with research. Many applicants have this and some schools do value it. If you have the opportunity to get involved in research, I would take it but I also wouldn’t worry if you can’t.

Final piece of advice is to recognize that this is likely a multi year process just to get to the point where you can apply to medical school and then start the multi year process of becoming a doctor. Take your time to ensure that this is really what you want to do by shadowing doctors and volunteering. Don’t be afraid to walk away from it if you find that this path isn’t for you. If you do decide that you want to pursue medicine, take your time and try not to rush through the process. The goal is to develop the strongest application possible. It’s better to take an extra year instead of overloading on classes or take a gap year to really crush the MCAT than to apply with a subpar application and risk taking a gap year after an unsuccessful cycle. Many of my friends have tried to rush the process because they felt they were getting too old: one matriculated to MD after the third cycle, one is in a Caribbean program notorious for leaving its students saddled with debt and unable to practice medicine, and others have simply changed paths.

All of this being said, I really enjoyed the postbac process and studying for the MCAT. I started taking night classes at 25 and will be matriculating to my target school at 30.

Best of luck to you.