Question on hypovolemic shock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted909933

Why is cyanosis not a principal clinical feature of severe blood loss?

Members don't see this ad.

Cyanosis is due to presence of deoxygenated blood resulting in bluish discoloration of skin. In hypovolemic shock you get reflex vasoconstriction of arterioles, especially in the skin, to maintain blood pressure and perfusion of vital organs. So instead of blue skin, you'll get pale skin. There is no defect in oxygenation.
That's my understanding of the subject.

Reactions: 1 users
Cyanosis is due to presence of deoxygenated blood resulting in bluish discoloration of skin. In hypovolemic shock you get reflex vasoconstriction of arterioles, especially in the skin, to maintain blood pressure and perfusion of vital organs. So instead of blue skin, you'll get pale skin. There is no defect in oxygenation.
That's my understanding of the subject.
would any of the different types of shocks clinically present as cyanosis??

I don't think so. Distributive shock results in flushed red skin due to arteriolar dilation. Neither results in cyanosis as far as I know. If you come across a case saying otherwise, let me know too. ☺️

Members don't see this ad :)
CA800128-5476-4BA1-A4A6-8B8C82018E22.jpeg
I don't think so. Distributive shock results in flushed red skin due to arteriolar dilation. Neither results in cyanosis as far as I know. If you come across a case saying otherwise, let me know too. ☺️
I saw this table when I searched google and but was unsure why cyanosis for anaphylatic shock

Yeah, I've found a few articles saying cyanosis can occur with severe anaphylactic shock due to impending respiratory failure. In that case I don't understand why that would be a specific feature of anaphylaxis and not be seen in, say, septic shock.
Perhaps someone else will care to elaborate on this point.