Question on Calculus- I got a 5 on AP Calculus BC. Should I take another Calculus class in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bermudagrass

Reaction score
Assuming my major does not require math beyond Calculus I. In that case, can I just use the AP credit to satisfy the medical school course requirement? I will take the Intro to Statistics for sure (I also got a 5 on AP Stats though).

Do medical schools prefer applicants to actually take another calculus class in college beyond AP Calculus BC? If the only math class I take in college is Statistics (with the AP Cal BC credit), would it hurt my chance of getting in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on a school. But there are only like 3-4 schools that require calculus.

I would say no. Check with the websites of med schools. I am a little out of the game but iirc many will accept AP credit for 1-2 prereqs. Like the person above me said, very few schools require Calc.

Congratulations on the 5, especially in BC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming my major does not require math beyond Calculus I. In that case, can I just use the AP credit to satisfy the medical school course requirement? I will take the Intro to Statistics for sure (I also got a 5 on AP Stats though).

Do medical schools prefer applicants to actually take another calculus class in college beyond AP Calculus BC? If the only math class I take in college is Statistics (with the AP Cal BC credit), would it hurt my chance of getting in med school?
As stated above, check with the schools just to be sure ... BUT here is the good news:

If you end up taking calculus (beyond AP Calculus BC ) for a letter grade in college, you'll probably ace the course, and add an "A" to your sGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
From personal experience (I scored a 5 on BC and Chem in high school), unless you have a defined reason to skip a class (cost limitations, plans for multiple majors, etc.), I would just repeat the course in college even if you could test out of it.

It made establishing study habits much safer because even if I tried an approach that didn't work, I could rely on my past knowledge to get through exams. In the end, I was able to have rock solid study habits for upper division classes and got 6 extra A's to provide a foundation for my GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools prefer stats to be part of the math prerequisite. And most of them have 1 semester requirement for math. Go for 1 semester of stat at the college level.