Question on books to use during 3rd year clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmycburkitt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some advice on what books to use during clinical clerkships. I start with psychiatry, then go into peds, IM, surgery, and ob-gyn. Should I read the associated Kaplan lecture notes or go with blueprints? Which FA series are good to use? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted some advice on what books to use during clinical clerkships. I start with psychiatry, then go into peds, IM, surgery, and ob-gyn. Should I read the associated Kaplan lecture notes or go with blueprints? Which FA series are good to use? Thanks!

I didn't like any Blueprints. They are too basic. Case Files are good for most subjects (but definitely the worst was Internal Medicine). First Aid is also good for most subjects.

I didn't like any Blueprints. They are too basic. Case Files are good for most subjects (but definitely the worst was Internal Medicine). First Aid is also good for most subjects.

I wouldn't say is worst of IM, but is certainly not enough for IM. But it is a good book to start of with, because reading step-up medicine alone can be dry and bored.

I'd get the Blueprints for Peds and OB.. general consensus is those are the best. Also go with Pretest for those 2 plus psych (all you need for psych).

MKSAP is also a must get for IM.

Lawrence is the top book for Surgery.

Family Med: Pray.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been using the Kaplan books with the videos and they have been awesome. I was constantly getting compliments on rounds and as far as the exams went I just bit the bullet and signed up for USMLE world and did all the questions for that subject.

I got this approach from a few friends of mine that are all in there residencies. I figure I am also going to be using these resources for step 2 so why not read them all again.

oh yeah, I also would quickly read the peds section if I was doing peds in Crush, BW, and First aid for step 2.

I really feel that if your serious about doing well on each rotation and then kicking the sh*&%t out of step 2 this is the best way to go!

Good luck!

I wouldn't say is worst of IM, but is certainly not enough for IM. But it is a good book to start of with, because reading step-up medicine alone can be dry and bored.

I'll say it again. Case Files for Internal Medicine was the worst book of the series. I wasn't saying that it's the worst book for internal medicine. It's the worst book in Toy's series of review books. There are a ton of typos to boot. Even though it's not as good as the rest, it is still very good and I'd still recommend it again.