Question From TBR Biology Book 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happy_Puppy5000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the 2013 Berkeley Review Biology on page #124, I have a question: Why is it Systolic Pressure - Diastolic Pressure as opposed to the other way around? Below is the actual question and what I did...

54. The pulse pressure is the difference between the diastolic pressure and the systolic pressure. It can be used to calculate the mean arterial pressure (MAP) during the cardiac cycle.

MAP = diastolic pressure + (pulse pressure/3)

What is the MAP, on average, for a 27-year-old man?

A. 51 B. 62 C. 78 D. 94

What I did:

MAP = Diastolic Pressure + (pulse pressure/3)

MAP = Diastolic Pressure + ([Diastolic Pressure - Systolic Pressure]/3)

From the passage for 25 - 29 years old men Diastolic Pressure is 78 mm/Hg, while the Systolic Pressure is 125 mm/Hg.

Therefore:

MAP = 78 + [(78 - 125)/3]

MAP = 78 + [- 47/3]

I round down 47 to 45 for easier calculation.

MAP = 78 + [- 45/3]

MAP = 78 - 15 = 63.

This would be choice B.

Correct answer given:

A 27-year-old man, on average, would have a systolic pressure of 125 and a diastolic pressure of 78. The difference between the two reading is 125 - 78 = 47. The pulse pressure is 47. MAP = 78 + (47/3) = 78 + 16 = 94. The correct choice is D.

My Question Please:

Why was it Systolic Pressure - Diastolic Pressure, as opposed to Diastolic Pressure - Systolic Pressure?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the 2013 Berkeley Review Biology on page #124, I have a question: Why is it Systolic Pressure - Diastolic Pressure as opposed to the other way around? Below is the actual question and what I did...

54. The pulse pressure is the difference between the diastolic pressure and the systolic pressure. It can be used to calculate the mean arterial pressure (MAP) during the cardiac cycle.

MAP = diastolic pressure + (pulse pressure/3)

What is the MAP, on average, for a 27-year-old man?

A. 51 B. 62 C. 78 D. 94

What I did:

MAP = Diastolic Pressure + (pulse pressure/3)

MAP = Diastolic Pressure + ([Diastolic Pressure - Systolic Pressure]/3)

From the passage for 25 - 29 years old men Diastolic Pressure is 78 mm/Hg, while the Systolic Pressure is 125 mm/Hg.

Therefore:

MAP = 78 + [(78 - 125)/3]

MAP = 78 + [- 47/3]

I round down 47 to 45 for easier calculation.

MAP = 78 + [- 45/3]

MAP = 78 - 15 = 63.

This would be choice B.

Correct answer given:

A 27-year-old man, on average, would have a systolic pressure of 125 and a diastolic pressure of 78. The difference between the two reading is 125 - 78 = 47. The pulse pressure is 47. MAP = 78 + (47/3) = 78 + 16 = 94. The correct choice is D.

My Question Please:

Why was it Systolic Pressure - Diastolic Pressure, as opposed to Diastolic Pressure - Systolic Pressure?

Thanks in advance.
Because the Pulse, also known as the pressure following a heartbeat. cant be negative or blood wouldnt flow towards the arteries.

Reactions: 1 user
5Words: Very, very, very, really, interesting. Anyway, seriously thanks. I never thought of it that way. I just went based on the stated sentence. Thanks again.