Question for those more familiar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a PGY-II in psychiatry in NYC, and I received this notice in my mailbox at the hospital the other day. I know that the best way to interpret this is to talk to the recruiter personally (his name and number was at the bottom of the letter), but was wondering if those involved in military medicine had some insight or thoughts.

Thanks.

The letter read:
"NAVY RESERVE PROGRAM FOR RESIDENTS AND FELLOWS

If you are a U.S. citizen and U.S. medical school graduate, you may be eligible to join the Navy Reserve medical program for Residents and Fellows.

OPTION 1: "NON-COMMITMENT" PROGRAM
--Department of the Navy policy prohibits the mobilization of residents and fellows in case of war, crisis, or national emergency. You are fully protected.

--Participation is purely voluntary. You may discontinue at any time, both during and after residency/fellowship.

--Time commitment is minimal - brief semiannual meetings 15 minutes from Manhattan.

--Monthly pay starting at $430/month. You get paid to simply document your grand rounds, conferences, seminary, etc. --i.e. your normal residency duties.

--Payment of your CME conference fees (specialty conferences/seminars).

--Free unlimited domestic air travel on military flights.

--Reduction of your car and home insurance by as much as 50 percent.

What's in it for the Navy Reserve?: Statistically, 15% of the residents/fellows that join the "Non-Commitment" Program voluntarily continue to serve in the Navy Reserve after they complete their residency/fellowship. Those that choose to do so provide the benefit to the Navy Reserve. The program is designed to get residents and fellows interested and involved in the Navy Reserve in a non-obtrusive manner, pay you monthly for your minimal participation, make your participation purely voluntary, and keep you safe and protected through the end of the fellowship from call up in case of war, crisis, etc. The end result is that the Navy Reserve hopes that your experience will be a positive one and that you will voluntarily remain in the program after you complete residency/fellowship.

OPTION 2: "COMMITMENT" PROGRAM
Same facts and benefits as Option 1 plus up to $50,000 to repay your medical school loans and $1,250 per month stipend in cash. You also receive your montly pay of $430 per month. The payback is two years in the Navy Reserve after you complete residency/fellowship for each year you receive stipend."

My questions are:
1. Option 1 seems too good to be true? Are there particulars I should ask the recruiter?
2. Is anyone involved in such a program?
3. Is this program's benefits unique to Manhattan, given our major city status on the East Coast?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

So, for option one, they're going to pay you for essentially.... nothing? Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Oh, and about this:
--Department of the Navy policy prohibits the mobilization of residents and fellows in case of war, crisis, or national emergency. You are fully protected.
Policy can change at the drop of a hat.

During the first gulf war, residents were deployed (I don't know how many and who), but that screwed up their GME so bad all the services said they would never do it again. Policy, however, is a fluid thing, and you are ALWAYS subject to the "needs of the service". That whole "You are fully protected" bit is not quite the whole truth, unless the add the words "for the moment" after it ;)

RichL025 said:
So, for option one, they're going to pay you for essentially.... nothing? Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Oh, and about this:

Policy can change at the drop of a hat.

During the first gulf war, residents were deployed (I don't know how many and who), but that screwed up their GME so bad all the services said they would never do it again. Policy, however, is a fluid thing, and you are ALWAYS subject to the "needs of the service". That whole "You are fully protected" bit is not quite the whole truth, unless the add the words "for the moment" after it ;)

Preface: I'm a dedicated career Naval reservist, having worn the uniform off and on since 1974.

Four caveats:

1. There is no free lunch.

2. No matter what a letter or recruiter says, it doesn't matter unless it's written in a legally-binding contract.

3. When it's all said and done, all officers serve at the pleasure of the President.

4. Everything is subject to change, always BASED ON THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE first and foremost.

Having said all those disclaimers, I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute in uniform despite the penny ante annoyances which come from working from ANY governmental agency. And the Navy has been extremely good to me, financially, travel, career broadening, and experiences you simply won't find in the civilian sector.

My enjoyment/satisfaction/patriotism titer has always greatly exceeded the frustration titer by a wide margin.

Members don't see this ad :)
It always cracks me up how they advertise Space-A travel in their recruiting pitches. Granted, I haven't put a lot of effort into trying it out, but nothing I've read makes it sound easy. The base closest to my med school had like 1 flight a week. Not bad I guess if you wanted to travel to Dayton, OH at 2am on Tuesday.

bogatyr said:
It always cracks me up how they advertise Space-A travel in their recruiting pitches. Granted, I haven't put a lot of effort into trying it out, but nothing I've read makes it sound easy. The base closest to my med school had like 1 flight a week. Not bad I guess if you wanted to travel to Dayton, OH at 2am on Tuesday.

Yeah, that is pretty funny how much they emphasize it. I guess it is probably a good deal for the starving med student with a long vacation - if you didn't mind possibly wasting a few days on either end, you could hop to Europe for practically free, but for most people who take vacations, it's not helpful.

I used to fly Space-A frequently when I was stationed in Europe - there was a regular twice a week flight from Stuttgart to London that always had empty seats, saved me quite a bit of money back when I was an enlisted guy.

trinityalumnus said:
Four caveats:

1. There is no free lunch.

2. No matter what a letter or recruiter says, it doesn't matter unless it's written in a legally-binding contract.

3. When it's all said and done, all officers serve at the pleasure of the President.

4. Everything is subject to change, always BASED ON THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE first and foremost.

I thought as much, as appreciate everyone's responses. I'm thinking about starting a family soon, and can't afford to be sent anywhere in the near or not-so-near future. I'll try to find the time to talk to the recruiter personally. One person told me that you can have notorized papers (contracts) drawn up to create additional stipulations (i.e. no deployment.) I wonder if it's true.

Thanks again.

Anasazi23 said:
One person told me that you can have notorized papers (contracts) drawn up to create additional stipulations (i.e. no deployment.) I wonder if it's true.

<snicker>

Those folks used to be called "barracks lawyers".

You can have whatever you want drawn up, the fact is, unless it's specifically written into your enlistment contract, it won't be worth the paper it's printed on. Before you even entertain ideas of that sort, see a lawyer who specializes in military affairs. I dount the advice he'll give you will be much different than mine (but by all means, let us know if it is!)

Anasazi23 said:
I thought as much, as appreciate everyone's responses. I'm thinking about starting a family soon, and can't afford to be sent anywhere in the near or not-so-near future. I'll try to find the time to talk to the recruiter personally. One person told me that you can have notorized papers (contracts) drawn up to create additional stipulations (i.e. no deployment.) I wonder if it's true.

Thanks again.

I cannot imagine the local recruiter having the authority to legally bind the US government to your stipulations. It would have to go VERY high up the food chain for authoritative signature, and for that you're talking months and months of bureaucratic wheels spinning, all probably for naught.

But, hey, it sure would be entertaining.