Question for neurosurg residents: best way to learn neuroanatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ernest wright

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get a good atlas. There are many. Learning neuroanatomy is for the most part memorization. To make it a bit easier you can try starting with big things...learn those first, then break it down to even smaller details. Don't go deeper into the details until you've mastered the previous material. Draw your own figures until you can do it in your sleep. Learn neuroanatomy from both pictures of real anatomical sections and MRI slices in different planes. You need to learn the basic anatomy before moving on to the functional aspects although at times it is easier to learn both together. Don't forget spinal cord sections.

Pathways are a matter of memorization also. Start with the simple and most important and learn them cold before moving on to the more obscure and convoluted.

I am not a neurosurgeon (neurologist rather), but neuroanatomy is a particular hobby of mine.

The advice you have already received is very sound.

Atlases? There are many sources to choose from.

My personal favorite is by Duane E. Haines, PhD. It's Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structures, Sections, and Systems. The sixth edition is the most current.

Another favorite is by Albert Rhoton, MD. It's essentially a hardback compendium titled Cranial Anatomy and Surgical Approaches that was originally presented in two supplementary issues of Neurosurgery in September of 2000, and October of 2002.

You might also like Atlas of the Human Skull, by H. Wayne Sampson, John L. Montgomery, and Gary L. Henryson.

All make for excellent reading (if you happen to like this flavor of topic).

mpp and daniel,

thank you both for your kind and helpful advice! I will definitely take it to heart and i am sure that it will prove to be of great benefit. thanks again!

ernie:)