Question for dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This video gives a detailed analysis of how much you would have to save if you want to retire at 55 yo with the monthly budget of $6000/month. It assumes that the rate of return is 6% and the inflation is at 3.24% (average rate for 108 yrs). And it also assumes that you won't start collecting the SS money until you turn 67. You would need to save at least $1.9 million. If the rate of return is 4%, you would need to save a lot more than $1.9 million. If things like gifts for your children, unexpected medical expenses etc are not included in this $6000/month budget, you would need to save more. You'd need to save more if you want to retire earlier than 55.

For my family, $6000/month budget is not enough. I would need at least 2x that amount. My home's property tax alone is $23,000/yr or $1900/month......and another $1k for my untility bills . The gas company recently increased my heating bill 3x.....from the usual $100-120/month to $350/month.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This video gives a detailed analysis of how much you would have to save if you want to retire at 55 yo with the monthly budget of $6000/month. It assumes that the rate of return is 6% and the inflation is at 3.24% (average rate for 108 yrs). And it also assumes that you won't start collecting the SS money until you turn 67. You would need to save at least $1.9 million. If the rate of return is 4%, you would need to save a lot more than $1.9 million. If things like gifts for your children, unexpected medical expenses etc are not included in this $6000/month budget, you would need to save more. You'd need to save more if you want to retire earlier than 55.

For my family, $6000/month budget is not enough. I would need at least 2x that amount. My home's property tax alone is $23,000/yr or $1900/month......and another $1k for my untility bills . The gas company recently increased my heating bill 3x.....from the usual $100-120/month to $350/month.

That is kind of my plan but I also have to have a paid off home. Hope to accomplish that in another 7 yrs. Will also work part time, which will bring a salary ~150k/yr... 2 mil plus a paid off home will be my f... you money.

What is you number @charlestweed ?

That is kind of my plan but I also have to have a paid off home. Hope to accomplish that in another 7 yrs. Will also work part time, which will bring a salary ~150k/yr... 2 mil plus a paid off home will be my f... you money.

What is you number @charlestweed ?
If I sell all my investment properties + my primary home, I think I might have enough for retirement. But I don’t plan to sell any of them because I want my kids to have them. I don’t want to live with the uncertainties like higher than expected inflation rate, cut in SS benefit (I don’t trust the government), another economic recession, another unforeseeable event similar to Covid etc. I want to keep working and making money so I can confidently spend and give. It’s better to have extra than not having enough. You see I don’t hate working. Work gives me a more meaningful life, especially the respects that I receive from others (my wife, my kids, my patients, my employees, my friends, my neighbors etc). With the fixed work schedule, I don't have to figure out what I should do next. It’s more relaxing when I don’t have to think that I need to go work in order to pay bills. It's nice to be debt-free.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prestige :rofl: Being BROKE is NOT prestigious. I could care LESS if someone calls me doctor nowadays. I just want to make a living.
I had surgery back in Dec and the anesth came in to discuss pre-op and mentioned that he was told I am a dentist. He asked if he should address me as "Doctor." I said, "no, I'm not a real doctor like you and (the surgeon)." I saw his look of agreement.

• Haha
I had surgery back in Dec and the anesth came in to discuss pre-op and mentioned that he was told I am a dentist. He asked if he should address me as "Doctor." I said, "no, I'm not a real doctor like you and (the surgeon)." I saw his look of agreement.
Kinda cringe tbh. No need to be self deprecating to your own profession.

I agree you should answer no in that situation, but only because there’s no reason to call someone doctor when they’re not in their professional/clinical setting.

Reactions: 4 users
I think most of us have had the experience of treating infections that have progressed to a dangerous point. In those situations the patient was fortunate to be treated by a dentist. Sometimes these patients come directly from the ED.
I agree that we are not physicians; we’re dentists. We have different jobs but we also have our own doctoral degree degree. So what is a “real” doctor? I agree with you that I wouldn’t want to be called doctor when Im a patient, or outside work.

Last edited:
I had surgery back in Dec and the anesth came in to discuss pre-op and mentioned that he was told I am a dentist. He asked if he should address me as "Doctor." I saiddo that, "no, I'm not a real doctor like you and (the surgeon)." I saw his look of agreement.
I've said similar phrases as well. You don't lose anything when you put yourself down and elevate others.

Last edited:
I think most of us have had the experience of treating infections that have progressed to a dangerous point. In those situations the patient was fortunate to be treated by a dentist. Sometimes these patients come directly from the ED.
I agree that we are not physicians; we’re dentists. We have different jobs but we also have our own doctoral degree degree. So what is a “real” doctor? I agree with you that I wouldn’t want to be called doctor when Im a patient, or outside work.
I'm not sure if ENT docs can recognize oral conditions but I believe many Medical Physicians (MD, DO) can not. I just diagnosed a 34 y/o male with primary herpetic stomatitis after he suffered a week after Hospital ER visit where the REAL DOCTOR couldn't. I was stumped because he had cold sores before and he was too old for primary herpes.

I went to a school where both DS & MS take the same basic sciences. Meds think we dentists are losers because we couldn't get in to MS. There seemed to be a lot of hatred from the DS and disrespect from the MS. I had borrowed my mom's new Nissan which had my dad's name ending with MD on the temporary tag and parked it for an hour at the dental patient's parking. Within an hour, there was a note on the windshield stating that MDs need to park away or the car will get keyed. There were numerous posts where the physicians disrespected the MD OMFS so I know we get a lot of crap from them. I just mentioned not being a REAL DOCTOR so they won't take me too personal. Fortunately my surgeon treats me like a colleague because he knows I know stuff too.

I'm not sure if ENT docs can recognize oral conditions but I believe many Medical Physicians (MD, DO) can not. I just diagnosed a 34 y/o male with primary herpetic stomatitis after he suffered a week after Hospital ER visit where the REAL DOCTOR couldn't. I was stumped because he had cold sores before and he was too old for primary herpes.

I went to a school where both DS & MS take the same basic sciences. Meds think we dentists are losers because we couldn't get in to MS. There seemed to be a lot of hatred from the DS and disrespect from the MS. I had borrowed my mom's new Nissan which had my dad's name ending with MD on the temporary tag and parked it for an hour at the dental patient's parking. Within an hour, there was a note on the windshield stating that MDs need to park away or the car will get keyed. There were numerous posts where the physicians disrespected the MD OMFS so I know we get a lot of crap from them. I just mentioned not being a REAL DOCTOR so they won't take me too personal. Fortunately my surgeon treats me like a colleague because he knows I know stuff too.
I diagnosed a twenty-something year old with ectodermal dysplasia while I was in the military. Couldn't have been a more stereotypical presentation. No physician prior to him joining the military or while in the military had ever identified it.

Big Hoss