Question about titles, MD, PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

civic4982

FM => Geri
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking online and I figured who better to ask then the folks with the abbreviation I'm trying to understand.

I often see the title Dr. So-and-So M.D., P.A.

Now when I see "P.A." I think Physicians Assistant.
I've discovered though that it might possibly mean "Professional Association."

Could any of you shed some light on the issue?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

PA's will usually use the designation PA-C.

Anyone who uses DR. John Doe, MD is a narcissist at best. John Doe, MD is entirely sufficient.

The flip side are nurses who can't seem to get enough initials after their name. Jane Doe, RN should be fine, but oh no - it's gotta be Jane Doe, RN, BSN, MSN, DNP, ARNP, FNP, CCRN, ETC.

Members don't see this ad :)
PA's will usually use the designation PA-C.

Anyone who uses DR. John Doe, MD is a narcissist at best. John Doe, MD is entirely sufficient.

The flip side are nurses who can't seem to get enough initials after their name. Jane Doe, RN should be fine, but oh no - it's gotta be Jane Doe, RN, BSN, MSN, DNP, ARNP, FNP, CCRN, ETC.

:laugh:

This is very true. While I can appreciate the effort that goes into each designation, the highest earned degree is typically listed (as seen above), because everything else is assumed.

Jane Doe, RN should be fine, but oh no - it's gotta be Jane Doe, RN, BSN, MSN, DNP, ARNP, FNP, CCRN, ETC.

I've never seen anyone put ETC after their name. ;)

I've never seen anyone put ETC after their name. ;)

Used primarily at the edge of the nametag for lack of space for even more initials...