Question about the timing of taking MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNightingale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am graduating as a humanities major with no scientific background. My next two years will be spent on meeting the pre-requisites for a medical school. With that said, when should I take the MCAT?

The reason I ask this is because I am going to apply to medical schools after one year of taking the pre-reqs so I can (hopefully) begin to attend it the following year. Which means I have to take the MCAT before I complete all of my pre-reqs. My worries are that there will be material on MCAT that I have not learned by the time I take it. My first year I will take calculus, bio, chem and o.chem. Second year will be physics and other sciences. Will this be a problem? Is there a way to study for MCAT without having to take the classes I listed for 2nd year?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

it's possible, but just so much harder. You'll need to learn it all buy yourself, and that sucks. I'd wait, one year isn't a big deal. Besides, having a year off before med. school is a great way to RELAX one last time before it's time to go hardcore forever. Also, you can save up with a job cause you sure as heck can't work while in med school.