Question about Texas PIT license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residentphysician20

Reaction score
I am currently an intern at Texas and in the process of applying for my PIT. I have no criminal background, but I did have to disclose academic probation in medical school (I was struggling academically during pre-clerkship but recovered and performed well with no other concerns). There were no issues with professionalism or any sort of misconduct. Passed all board exams on my first attempt.

I was told that because of this self-reported issue, my PIT application will require "formal review" with "management". I understand that the Texas medical board is very strict, and I wonder if there's any chance that my PIT will be denied because of this? I have no other issues whatsoever - just this probation from medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Your concern isn't totally unreasonable, because the TMB is indeed unusually strict and capricious. But assuming that what you're saying is accurate and there isn't anything to the story other than your grades were low, and then you recovered, I don't think even the TMB will have much of a problem with you.

Reactions: 1 user
The TMB is no joke. I had to hire a lawyer to explain my probation issues in residency. I have never had to do that with any other of my nine or so licensing boards. A simple explanation was sufficient even for Florida which I hear is another tough one.
I think there is a good chance that they may be less strict on training licenses. I don't really know though.
They are horrible people who like the power they are given.

Thanks for all the replies. I know deep down that this won't (or at least shouldn't) prevent me from getting a license. But it is a bit nerve whacking considering how strict the state is. And this is the first time I've had to disclose anything derogatory to any school/institute/license board.

Does anyone know how long it'll usually take for the board to make a decision? I know that with the pandemic going on, things are going to be slower than usual.

I thought when I filled mine out it only asked about probation for “behavioral” reasons anyway. You might not have even had to disclose it if truly for academic reasons, in which case I really doubt they’d care when they review it.

Hey OP, did you end up getting a PIT license? If so, were there any issues/additional steps you had to take?

I am currently an intern at Texas and in the process of applying for my PIT. I have no criminal background, but I did have to disclose academic probation in medical school (I was struggling academically during pre-clerkship but recovered and performed well with no other concerns). There were no issues with professionalism or any sort of misconduct. Passed all board exams on my first attempt.

I was told that because of this self-reported issue, my PIT application will require "formal review" with "management". I understand that the Texas medical board is very strict, and I wonder if there's any chance that my PIT will be denied because of this? I have no other issues whatsoever - just this probation from medical school.
Hey doc, hopefully, you see this. I'm guessing it got sorted out. I am in a similar situation and I was wondering how long it took for them to do that "management/formal" review?
Thanks