Navy Question about students on HSCP during active duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that upon graduation from dental school I will be promoted to O-3E. However, looking at the pay chart I noticed that there is no "E" next to O-4.

Now my question is if I happen to make O-4 upon my 4 year payback and decide to stay in. Would I get paid as an O-4 with >8 years(4 years as an officer and 4 years as enlistee during dental school) or as an O-4 with >4 years of experience?

thanks.

maybe @vellnueve can chime in :)

Members don't see this ad.

O1E-O3E are paid at a higher rate because otherwise you could potentially be looking at a pay cut by going officer from the enlisted ranks depending on your prior rank and time in service. Once you hit O4 they take that boost away. Your years of service are your years of service.

O1E-O3E are paid at a higher rate because otherwise you could potentially be looking at a pay cut by going officer from the enlisted ranks depending on your prior rank and time in service. Once you hit O4 they take that boost away. Your years of service are your years of service.

this means that my first few years as an O-4 I'd be making less than if I were to stay as an O3E? man that doesn't sound very good haha..

Members don't see this ad :)
No. O4 pay across the board is higher than O3E pay for the same years of service.

according to chart O4 with 4 years of experience get paid less than O3E with 8 yrs of experience

So if I decide to stay as O3E at the end of my 4 year commitment instead of becoming O4 id be paid more(at least for the first few years)

#1, you don't get to "stay" - you'd be forced out if you turned down O4.

#2, your years of service accumulate. You should be comparing O3E at 8 to O4 at 8.

Typically you won't select until your 5th full year as an O3.

#1, you don't get to "stay" - you'd be forced out if you turned down O4.

#2, your years of service accumulate. You should be comparing O3E at 8 to O4 at 8.

Typically you won't select until your 5th full year as an O3.

but you just said I will be an O4 with 4 years of experience instead of 8???

No, I said that your years of service are your years of service. Doesn't matter if they're enlisted or officer - your total years of military service determine your pay.

And you won't be an O4 at 4 years anyway, you won't put O4 on until 6.

No, I said that your years of service are your years of service. Doesn't matter if they're enlisted or officer - your total years of military service determine your pay.

And you won't be an O4 at 4 years anyway, you won't put O4 on until 6.

Thanks for the clarification

@vellnueve I've heard that selection pace in the dental corps moves at the pace of every 6 years at best - can you confirm? I feel like I read that from Mower somewhere in some forum.