Question about sgu. Has Anyone had the same happen to them

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey so I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I applied to sgu and submitted scans of my transcripts and all other documentation. Now as background info. I had submitted the scans the day I submitted the online application and sent it off the admission advisor but it took about two weeks to get my letters in. So during those two weeks they already had my gradess. Anyways the same day I submitted the letters I was told that my application. was going to be presented to the admissions committee. That same day I got an email saying that I got an interview. So basically I got an interview without having submitted sealed transcripts. So I’m just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. I’m confused because I am still getting emails asking for my official transcript in order to send off my app to the committee even after I had been interviewed and was told that it was presented to them already (i have now sent off official transcripts just in case. The reason I didn’t before was because I was told that My application was ready to be submitted to the committee without it). I’m just confused as to how I got an interview if they still require my sealed transcripts. Do you think that they have already considered my grades but need the official ones for formality?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey so I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I applied to sgu and submitted scans of my transcripts and all other documentation. Now as background info. I had submitted the scans the day I submitted the online application and sent it off the admission advisor but it took about two weeks to get my letters in. So during those two weeks they already had my gradess. Anyways the same day I submitted the letters I was told that my application. was going to be presented to the admissions committee. That same day I got an email saying that I got an interview. So basically I got an interview without having submitted sealed transcripts. So I’m just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. I’m confused because I am still getting emails asking for my official transcript in order to send off my app to the committee even after I had been interviewed and was told that it was presented to them already (i have now sent off official transcripts just in case. The reason I didn’t before was because I was told that My application was ready to be submitted to the committee without it). I’m just confused as to how I got an interview if they still require my sealed transcripts. Do you think that they have already considered my grades but need the official ones for formality?
As someone who was accepted into SGU two years ago, I’ll let you in on a little secret...

It’s really, really, really hard to not get an interview. Like seriously, even with a previous felony, I still think you’d get an interview. Luckily, getting in is a bigger and better challenge. Here, you’ll actually have to be a decent human being and likeable to your interviewer. Mine was awesome and we connected really well (although he still hasn’t added me back on LinkedIn :asshat:). End result: accepted *cue the balloons*

May I ask if you’re set on SGU? Or is this just a back-up?

As someone who was accepted into SGU two years ago, I’ll let you in on a little secret...

It’s really, really, really hard to not get an interview. Like seriously, even with a previous felony, I still think you’d get an interview. Luckily, getting in is a bigger and better challenge. Here, you’ll actually have to be a decent human being and likeable to your interviewer. Mine was awesome and we connected really well (although he still hasn’t added me back on LinkedIn :asshat:). End result: accepted *cue the balloons*

May I ask if you’re set on SGU? Or is this just a back-up?
I’m pretty set on it. And I already had my interview and it went fantastic from how I saw it

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m pretty set on it. And I already had my interview and it went fantastic from how I saw it
Nice! I’m happy for you. You’ll probably be hearing good news within the next couple of days/weeks. May i ask why SGU though, and not a local MD/DO school?

Nice! I’m happy for you. You’ll probably be hearing good news within the next couple of days/weeks. May i ask why SGU though, and not a local MD/DO school?
Bad Mcat and my first degree marks were all over the place. But I have done three years of a second degree and have achieved straight As so I’m hoping that that huge change in my academics from when I took my core sciences 8 years ago shows that I’m ready. I wouldn’t ever get into Canada. And I have one heck of a resume. So much so that when interviewer asked about research he told me to stop cuz he had enough written down lol

Reactions: 1 user
Lol what do you mean by bad MCAT? I find that SDN tends to over inflate numbers.

To give an example, I was verball stoned for encouraging a kid to apply with a 3.8/515. Granted, his MCAT score was unbalanced because of CARS. But...it’s insane to think that NO school would take him. Like hello ¿cómo estás? New medical schools here

Lol what do you mean by bad MCAT? I find that SDN tends to over inflate numbers.

To give an example, I was verball stoned for encouraging a kid to apply with a 3.8/515. Granted, his MCAT score was unbalanced because of CARS. But...it’s insane to think that NO school would take him. Like hello ¿cómo estás? New medical schools here
Just take my word. It was pretty bad.

thanks, but i guess youve never heard of a situation such as mine?
What racial/ethnic community do you represent? Are you economically disadvantaged in any way? Also, did you ever retake the MCAT? I saw from your previous scores that you were starting to.

What racial/ethnic community do you represent? Are you economically disadvantaged in any way? Also, did you ever retake the MCAT? I saw from your previous scores that you were starting to.
i applied with my current score and if i get in great. if not i have my mcat scheduled for august

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly i really really hpe so. im praying i get direct acceptance but i have a feeling i wont. ive got a lot stacked against me
You will! I applied to SGU (2016) with a 3.3cGPA/3.1sGPA and a 490 MCAT. I got in with no problems, but i did have to enroll in a special program for people with low MCATs

You will! I applied to SGU (2016) with a 3.3cGPA/3.1sGPA and a 490 MCAT. I got in with no problems, but i did have to enroll in a special program for people with low MCATs
thast very similar to me. but my science is a 2.7 because of my first degree and courses i took 8 years ago. thast my fear. but i have a 3.85 cgpa for my new transcript and two incredible letters of recommendation and an outstanding resume. im just praying i get in. i also said id do kbt so hopefully that works in my favour

thast very similar to me. but my science is a 2.7 because of my first degree and courses i took 8 years ago. thast my fear.
Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuust me. You literally have nothing to worry about lmao. If i were you, i’d be packing my bags ;)

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuust me. You literally have nothing to worry about lmao. If i were you, i’d be packing my bags ;)
haha thanks, but we shall see. i read so much about ppls getting into those other programs and im scared they'll put me in those

haha thanks, but we shall see. i read so much about ppls getting into those other programs and im scared they'll put me in those
They probably will, but it doesn’t set you back at all. It’s more like mandatory grade counseling...or atleast, that’s how I perceived it.

Not going to lie though...I was a bit offended to be placed in their “special” program

They probably will, but it doesn’t set you back at all. It’s more like mandatory grade counseling...or atleast, that’s how I perceived it.

Not going to lie though...I was a bit offended to be placed in their “special” program
i kiunda wanna be placed in it. id rather get more help then less

i kiunda wanna be placed in it. id rather get more help then less
Lol then we have to opposing personalities. I’m as stubborn and headstrong as a bull lmao

Lol then we have to opposing personalities. I’m as stubborn and headstrong as a bull lmao
im stubborn too but im also someone who works better when i get more assistance and one-on-one help. so the more i acn get the better

im stubborn too but im also someone who works better when i get more assistance and one-on-one help. so the more i can get the better
Power to you! I admire that. Let me know when you end up getting in :cat:

thanks. im praying i do but i have low hopes tbh
Getting in won’t be the problem, but staying there will be. SGU has some high attrition rates (like most Caribbean schools). I’d recommend networking with recent grads to see what they did to be successful!

Getting in won’t be the problem, but staying there will be. SGU has some high attrition rates (like most Caribbean schools). I’d recommend networking with recent grads to see what they did to be successful!
yeah i have a friend who finished 2nd year and said she'd give me every tip possible. im also planning on having a study group who meets 3-4 times a week where we talk thorugh material (its the way i learn best), and go to every possible extra help session i can go to. im a proactive student so if i dont understand something i go right to the source that day to clear things up so i dont fall behind

My friend is in the class of 2017 January class and she really enjoys it last I heard! If you do go there, make sure to ask for help from upper-classmen. They got all the goods.

My friend is in the class of 2017 January class and she really enjoys it last I heard! If you do go there, make sure to ask for help from upper-classmen. They got all the goods.
That’s awesome. Unfortunately what I really wanted to know was if anyone has had a similar situation to me

Second year SGU student here- yes upper termer information is gold... there are an enormous amount of resources available from upper termers for "high yield" info for exams, online textbook sharing, review groups that they hold, as well as DES sessions... and SGU itself (DES department) has an immense amount of resources, most students do not take advantage of what they offer, it's quite impressive. They want to see you succeed and will give you every resource possible, even arranging extra tutoring sessions on the weekends from MD facilitators (past students that have graduated) or upper termers, you just need to be proactive and take advantage of the resources and have a positive attitude about it. They also have a ton of help for students like myself with ADD, text anxiety and other psych issues.

Reactions: 2 users
Second year SGU student here- yes upper termer information is gold... there are an enormous amount of resources available from upper termers for "high yield" info for exams, online textbook sharing, review groups that they hold, as well as DES sessions... and SGU itself (DES department) has an immense amount of resources, most students do not take advantage of what they offer, it's quite impressive. They want to see you succeed and will give you every resource possible, even arranging extra tutoring sessions on the weekends from MD facilitators (past students that have graduated) or upper termers, you just need to be proactive and take advantage of the resources and have a positive attitude about it. They also have a ton of help for students like myself with ADD, text anxiety and other psych issues.
thanks for that info. its very encouraging. unfortunately thtas not what im asking is about.

This is great to hear! Thanks for the info :)