Question About Residency Following GMO Tour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texaneagle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether the intern year before starting a GMO counts towards the completion of a residency program? For example, if you completed an intern year, then served 2 years as a GMO, then matched into a Navy EM residency that is normally 3 years would you have two more years to complete after entering residency or would you still have to do all 3 years and essentially repeat an intern year through your Navy EM residency program?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether the intern year before starting a GMO counts towards the completion of a residency program? For example, if you completed an intern year, then served 2 years as a GMO, then matched into a Navy EM residency that is normally 3 years would you have two more years to complete after entering residency or would you still have to do all 3 years and essentially repeat an intern year through your Navy EM residency program?

Thanks for your help!
Depends on the program. Since you asked about ER I know ER was making people repeat at least part of intern year if they had been out for too long as a GMO. I don’t know the specifics though and would defer to an ER doc for that.

Reactions: 1 user
This depends on what your intern year was in and then what your residency is afterwards. I can speak towards family medicine. I have seen people do a family medicine intern year, GMO and then do two more years in family medicine. I have seen people do a transitional year, GMO, then complete two more years and a few months to make of the difference. Then there are people that do very different things, such as general surgery intern year, gmo then family medicine. This ended up almost entirely starting over. In this last case, parts of the general surgery internship were used for electives

I think this ultimately comes down to the current program director, and their interpretation of the ACGME rules.

Reactions: 1 user