Question About Reporting Comlex Vs. Usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VALSALVA

**** or get off the pot
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I took the USMLE and did below average.

I took the COMLEX and did well above average.

Question...do I have to report my USMLE score to MD programs if I choose to apply to them? In other words, can I just report my COMLEX score and not report my USMLE score?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ok. Officially you are supposed to post your USMLE. But, in all likelihood, your registrar does not have a copy of your scores (ours doesn't). If you don't list it on your ERAS app, you risk these programs finding out that you took the test and didn't list it, because they have the ability to see if you've taken the test. BUT... the talk on the down-low, however, is that it would take too damn long and be too much work for any administrative assistant to a PD to go hunting this stuff down.

HOWEVER, if, during your interview, they ask you...I wouldnt lie about it. You are under no obligation to report it, I dont think.

I just did the ERAS application online and if you go through it, it wants you to list the tests you've taken. I bet you can plead ignorance to having to list it in an interview if questioned about it. (I agree you should probably admit to taking it if asked point blank, but you can always answer with something like: "I was taking it to get practice for the COMLEX." or some other such bull$hit.) My guess, is that you won't be asked about it. I know of one resident who was asked "why didn't you take the comlex" and she said "Because I don't need it for licensing" (she actually hadn't taken it). And the interviewers were like "oh, yeah, of course."

what does everyone think of reporting USMLE & COMLEX if you did well above average on COMLEX (high 80th percentile) and just average on USMLE...? Report or dont report?