Question about Puget Sound's DPT curriculum..My only hang up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ginglymus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i've been accepted into Puget Sound PT and I am very excited as they are a well established and known institution. I am very detail oriented and have a question to everyone who reads this forum regarding the curriculum. From what I've seen, many schools have around 90-95 credits of didactic work (not including clinicals. Ex: UNMC, George Fox pretty sure most programs), however, Puget Sound's total credits is only 60 (this was converted from their 15 unit program, 1 unit = 4 credits)

This seems like a minor detail, and it probably is, but I think its weird that they offer almost 1/3 less classes/credits than various other institutions. I know their NPTE board pass rate is good (1st: 95% ultimate: 100%) but for some reason I have a feeling I won't be learning as much compared to other schools. Yes i'm learning enough for the NPTE, but am I missing out on other information that might make me a better clinician later on? This is my only hangup, however I may be completely delusional and so all input is welcomed!

Here is a quick comparison to George Fox's DPT curriculum vs Puget Sound as an example.

PugetSoundVsGeorgeFox.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, i've been accepted into Puget Sound PT and I am very excited as they are a well established and known institution. I am very detail oriented and have a question to everyone who reads this forum regarding the curriculum. From what I've seen, many schools have around 90-95 credits of didactic work (not including clinicals. Ex: UNMC, George Fox pretty sure most programs), however, Puget Sound's total credits is only 60 (this was converted from their 15 unit program, 1 unit = 4 credits)

This seems like a minor detail, and it probably is, but I think its weird that they offer almost 1/3 more classes/credits at various other institutions. I know their NPTE board pass rate is good (1st: 95% ultimate: 100%) but for some reason I have a feeling I won't be learning as much compared to other schools. Yes i'm learning enough for the NPTE, but am I missing out on other information that might make me a better clinician later on? This is my only hangup, however I may be completely delusional and so all input is welcomed!

Here is a quick comparison to George Fox's DPT curriculum vs Puget Sound as an example.

View attachment 200555

I graduated from there in 2015.

Trust me, you won't be missing anything. You're going to learn just as much as any other program. The number of credits doesn't really matter. You're not just "learning enough for the NPTE".

Also a UPS grad from 2015. Don't get hung up on the credits. I just took a look at Fox's curriculum and it looks pretty similar to UPS despite the difference in credits. You said it yourself, UPS is well established and a known institution. I've heard numerous times from practicing PTs in WA that UPS grads are the most prepared for practice following graduation. Besides, you don't want to miss out on the on-site clinic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user

This seems like a minor detail, and it probably is, but I think its weird that they offer almost 1/3 more classes/credits at various other institutions. I know their NPTE board pass rate is good (1st: 95% ultimate: 100%) but for some reason I have a feeling I won't be learning as much compared to other schools. Yes i'm learning enough for the NPTE, but am I missing out on other information that might make me a better clinician later on? This is my only hangup, however I may be completely delusional and so all input is welcomed!

View attachment 200555
I would recommend you contact one of the professors at UPS. They might put your mind at ease and give you some valuable insight and input on their curriculum. I have been in contact with Dr. Karin Townson and she has been extremely helpful in answering my questions. I'm sure they're more than willing to address your concerns being that they offered you a spot.