This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am still an undergrad (starting my junior year in August). I am interested in a few different fields of medicine ( I know this can very well change in med school, but for now I am simply curious and want more info). With psychiatry, is it common for psychiatrists to practice and do research.....or is it typically one or the other and not both continuously?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are faculty here at my university who do both and some who only practice. Psychiatrists participating in the conduct of clinical trials are pretty common.

Reactions: 2 users
According to rumor, there are at least a few MD's in emergency medicine who do research, teach medical school, and see patients and practice as physicians as well. I'm not sure how much time they spend working in acute psychiatric services which is part of the ER or if that is reserved for psychiatrists.

Reactions: 1 users
I did research with a psychiatrist who almost exclusively did research. There are also obviously psychiatrists who exclusively practice psychiatry. Some at my school are admins part time and clinicians part time. Some exclusively serve as administrators. Many do both research and practice clinically. Some mainly practice but do a small amount of research. Some do exclusively political advocacy work.

That’s one cool thing about medicine. You can really do whatever fits your ultimate goal!

Reactions: 1 user