question about pharmacy school courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOS925

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this might seem like a dumb question but how much of pharmacy school is chemistry based? i've completed some of the pre-pharmacy courses but struggle quite a bit at the general chem courses. i love biology and am interested in that aspect of pharmacy but the chemistry has me intimidated as i've never really had an aptitude for it. any insight would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The chemistry part in pharmacy school is very small (mostly in medicinal chemistry). It'll be desirable that you remember some basic concepts from undergraduate courses. However, those undergrad courses themselves (which are requirements for pharmacy school) are quite challenging, especially organic chemistry (but it also depends which school you take them and which prof you have).

I agree with the above poster that the most chemistry is in doing the pre-reqs. Once you get into pharmacy school there is biochemistry and med chem. Also, you will find people in your class that are good at chemsitry that can help you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, I'd say chemistry is a big part of pharmacy school. 4 yrs minimum--General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry (the hardest), Biochemistry & Medicinal Chemistry. With labs, of course. I guess the first 2 years are technically pre-pharmacy, but still, that is 4 years chemistry. My pharmacy school also offered a couple of chemistry electives. Someone who can't stand or really struggles with chemistry is not going to enjoy pharmacy school

Hmmm, I'd say chemistry is a big part of pharmacy school. 4 yrs minimum--General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry (the hardest), Biochemistry & Medicinal Chemistry. With labs, of course. I guess the first 2 years are technically pre-pharmacy, but still, that is 4 years chemistry. My pharmacy school also offered a couple of chemistry electives. Someone who can't stand or really struggles with chemistry is not going to enjoy pharmacy school

Most of the chemistry is during pre-pharmacy, not pharmacy school.

That's kind of a moot point, because if someone can't do the required pre-pharm chemistry, they aren't ever going to be able to go to pharmacy school anyway.

General Chemistry & Organic Chemistry as prerequisites vs. Biochemistry and Medicinal Chemistry in pharmacy school is comparing apples to oranges. Sure they are the same fruit, but you don't necessarily have to like apples to eat an orange. I despised the general and organic chemistries, but biochem and medicinal chem are something that I can relate a helluva lot more to. For me, O. Chem and Gen. Chem were so intangible and ethereal that I had a hard time caring about any of it....didn't mean that I didn't jump through the hoops anyways. All in all, I'd have to disagree that its a moot point; welcome to the game of prereq's is what I'd say.