Question about overseas service ribbons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a fairly specific question about overseas service ribbons. While in the USAF, I spent 12 months in Korea which qualified me for the USAF Overseas Service Ribbon (short tour). I am now in the NAvy, which specifically disallows the USAF short tour ribbon. However, given that the requirements for the Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon require only 12 months consecutive duty at an overseas location, can I exchange my USAF short tour ribbon for a Navy and Marine Corps overseas service ribbon? My gut thinks that would be acceptable, but I really want to make sure. Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a fairly specific question about overseas service ribbons. While in the USAF, I spent 12 months in Korea which qualified me for the USAF Overseas Service Ribbon (short tour). I am now in the NAvy, which specifically disallows the USAF short tour ribbon. However, given that the requirements for the Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon require only 12 months consecutive duty at an overseas location, can I exchange my USAF short tour ribbon for a Navy and Marine Corps overseas service ribbon? My gut thinks that would be acceptable, but I really want to make sure. Thanks in advance for any help!

Other service ribbons are worn last on the Navy uniform (unless you have a MOH or other high personal decoration, ;) ). In the Navy, it seemed they were handing out theater ribbons with reckless abandon--I got 3 SWAs and one or two others that way. The Coastie ribbon I got had to be put on the bottom, dead last.

Since you were not specifically awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon you can not wear it, but I would look up the uniform regulations about wearing other service ribbons. I have heard you can wear them but only if they are last on the uniform

Members don't see this ad :)
Other service ribbons are worn last on the Navy uniform (unless you have a MOH or other high personal decoration, ;) ). In the Navy, it seemed they were handing out theater ribbons with reckless abandon--I got 3 SWAs and one or two others that way. The Coastie ribbon I got had to be put on the bottom, dead last.

The best I can tell, all the ribbons are put on the rack in order of importance with equivalent navy ribbons having higher importance (e.g., my AFCM would go near the top but any NMCCMs would be placed ahead of my AFCM). Still haven't heard a definitive answer on the overseas ribbon. Guess I'll bother the folks at OH about it.

Why don't you look up the Navy instruction