question about ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

averageguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how hard is it to get into ortho. i hear different things from different people and was wondering if residents or med students who know more than me could give me advice on what to do.
for a little background, i am an m3, my boards are 234 and my rank is ~10 out of 75 in my class. one professor told me that i had no chance if i am not aoa and 250 board scores. does research help? i have been told yes and i have some but not in ortho. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry. You are fine. Your board score is above the mean for people who matched last year. You have time to do a little research if you want. I think around 35% were aoa last year. Look at some of the posts and you can see.

Don't worry. You are fine. Your board score is above the mean for people who matched last year. You have time to do a little research if you want. I think around 35% were aoa last year. Look at some of the posts and you can see.

Last year:
Ave step 1: 230
%AOA- 32
% with research- 93
% with pubs- 62

Thanks for the info. I wish people would not go off spouting information that is not correct like my professor did. You'd think that an attending would know a little more than that and be a little more helpful but what do i know?