Question about optional essays/mentioning deficiencies in application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raizmedschoolapps

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so some schools have optional essays where they ask you to write about anything you haven't mentioned in your app/any info that would be pertinent to your application. One other q I've seen is to address deficiencies in your application.

For the optional essay, if I have nothing else I want to add that I haven't mentioned elsewhere should I leave it blank or explain deficiencies?

And for the deficiency q, I have two things I could talk about but not sure how to write it out. Unfortunately I did not do well in my pre-reqs other than bio, biochem, english but I had a 4.0 in senior year with a full load of science coursework and like a 3.8 my junior year and my overall science and cumulative GPA is a 3.55. I could explain this, but I feel like the upward trend is great and my GPA isn't too low for someone only applying DO.

Another deficiency I could mention is my MCAT. My first score was a 496 and I was going through a hard time when I took it, and on my retake, I had a 506 albeit a low CARS score but high science scores. How should I go about writing?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not unnecessarily draw attention to a negative. For the question directly asking for deficiencies (and it should say academic deficiencies), you could mention what methods you used to improve on your MCAT score. Talking about your GPA is dependent on how your grades were in your freshmen and sophomore year.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Do not unnecessarily draw attention to a negative. For the question directly asking for deficiencies (and it should say academic deficiencies), you could mention what methods you used to improve on your MCAT score. Talking about your GPA is dependent on how your grades were in your freshmen and sophomore year.
Hey thanks for the response! The q says specifically "Use this space if you'd like to address any identified deficiencies in your application." And for my grades during freshman and sophomore year I had a 3.3 freshman and a whopping 3.0 in sophomore. Junior was 3.8 and senior was 4.0. The B- and C+ in orgo and physics is what tanked my grades in sophomore year especially. I just tried to make up for it by taking a bunch of science classes my last two years and getting A's in them

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the response! The q says specifically "Use this space if you'd like to address any identified deficiencies in your application." And for my grades during freshman and sophomore year I had a 3.3 freshman and a whopping 3.0 in sophomore. Junior was 3.8 and senior was 4.0. The B- and C+ in orgo and physics is what tanked my grades in sophomore year especially. I just tried to make up for it by taking a bunch of science classes my last two years and getting A's in them
It would be fine to similarly mention in what ways you changed your approach to studying and became a better student. Though if this is optional, I feel you can pass on it too. Your GPA is competitive and you did not have a sub 3.0 in either of your first two years. The interviewer can ask this if they'd like instead.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the maxim: better to stay silent and not be thought of as a fool thsn to speak and prove otherwise?

That proposed answer on addressing your grade trend by just taking more science classes and you got better grades...

• Love
What's the maxim: better to stay silent and not be thought of as a fool thsn to speak and prove otherwise?

That proposed answer on addressing your grade trend by just taking more science classes and you got better grades...
I’m sorry do you mind elaborating?

I’m sorry do you mind elaborating?
I think you have to understand what faculty want to see. If you didn't do well in classes, did you change your study habits? Go to office hours? Set up strong study groups? I'm not sure that just taking more classes and things improving is an answer that will be favorably received since it suggests a strong lack of self-reflection.

• Love
Oh no, I would 100% explain more in depth. I just wasn’t sure for this deficiency question since it is optional, if I should mention my poorer grades in the beginning of college or my first MCAT score since most individuals I’ve reached out to recommend not to shed light on on negatives. If I should, then what you said is exactly what I did haha. I started reaching out to professors for help, formed strong study groups, tried to do more active learning, overall became a much more organized student. And I think those methods worked as I was able to improve my last two years.

Oh no, I would 100% explain more in depth. I just wasn’t sure for this deficiency question since it is optional, if I should mention my poorer grades in the beginning of college or my first MCAT score since most individuals I’ve reached out to recommend not to shed light on on negatives. If I should, then what you said is exactly what I did haha. I started reaching out to professors for help, formed strong study groups, tried to do more active learning, overall became a much more organized student. And I think those methods worked as I was able to improve my last two years.
*sigh*
The prompt is for something like "I had poor grades that semester because my mom died/got sick/divorced my dad/was injured

Why did you have poor grades in your first year? Was your high school a "college prep" school, or was going to college a rarity among high school graduates? I presume that those who graduated from such college-prep schools would have a little better adjustment to college life and expectations??? Did your university not have a "how to survive college" 1-credit class for new students? I'm just kinda wondering... you need to be careful spinning your story just to answer a question, especially if you don't really make a convincing statement regarding real adversity that could have affected your academic performance (i.e., Goro's example).

What was your GPA after your first year BTW? Did you get academic probation?

For this essay, We don't talk about MCAT, no no no... you said you had a hard time, but it doesn't sound so serious that you can clearly be advised you could describe your circumstances...