Question about OMM during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

js2698

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this upcoming cycle to MD and DO schools. I am hesitant to apply DO because I do not want anyone cracking my neck or bending it around. Is it possible to refuse doing this or should I just not bother applying DO?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying this upcoming cycle to MD and DO schools. I am hesitant to apply DO because I do not want anyone cracking my neck or bending it around. Is it possible to refuse doing this or should I just not bother applying DO?
I mean you should be comfortable bending a neck if you are going to med school. But at least at my school HVLA techniques are taught and demonstrated but you are just required to show how they are set up and verbally give the direction the thrust (crack) will be. So you will never crack a neck

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean you should be comfortable bending a neck if you are going to med school. But at least at my school HVLA techniques are taught and demonstrated but you are just required to show how they are set up and verbally give the direction the thrust (crack) will be. So you will never crack a neck
I am just concerned about the risk of getting a vertebral artery dissection from hvla

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Ya you can refuse. Just be sure to take any USMD school over any DO school
Your school allows you to refuse to learn OMM techniques? I feel like most OMM faculty would still make you unless you had a legit concern
I am just concerned about the risk of getting a vertebral artery dissection from hvla
Yeah you never do the technique at most schools
I prefer MD but my stats are a little low
99% prefer MD but yeah you got to play your cards

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools will allow for you to decide not to have the full technique performed on yourself, which is the case with my school.

If you do not want someone doing HVLA, you do not have to let them; however, I would like to state that the risk of getting a vertebral artery dissection from HVLA is extremely rare, and usually a complication from Chiropractors and not DOs.

Your school allows you to refuse to learn OMM techniques? I feel like most OMM faculty would still make you unless you had a legit concern

Yeah you never do the technique at most schools

99% prefer MD but yeah you got to play your cards
Ya, you can ask to not to have HVLA or any technique done on you if you don’t want.