Question about (older) MCAT prep books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiphop1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have Kaplan 2016 MCAT study books and looking into buying TBR 2016-2017 MCAT prep books from ebay. I'm applying to medical school (hopefully) next year. Am I good with some "older" prep books or should I invest more money into 2018-2019 ones?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you can find 2016 or later TBR books on Ebay (or SDN classifieds), then you are fine. General chemistry was the last book to undergo a major facelift, and that was in late 2016. Since then, changes have involved less than 10% of the passages. As long as the books have the following, you're fine:

General Chemistry has 12 chapters (not 10)
Physics has Light as chapter 9 and optics as chapter 10 (not one chapter 10 with both light and optics)
Organic chemistry has chapter 5 being hydrocarbons and lipids.
Biology has practice exams in the back of the book.

Edit: I just looked at the current Ebay listings, and only the one with the green colored physics books is current. The majority are at least five years old. That is always a major issue with Ebay, as they are often book resellers who don't know what it is they are selling. If that auction does not work out, keep an eye out at SDN classifieds. That has proven to be the best place to buy used BR books for years.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can find 2016 or later TBR books on Ebay (or SDN classifieds), then you are fine. General chemistry was the last book to undergo a major facelift, and that was in late 2016. Since then, changes have involved less than 10% of the passages. As long as the books have the following, you're fine:

General Chemistry has 12 chapters (not 10)
Physics has Light as chapter 9 and optics as chapter 10 (not one chapter 10 with both light and optics)
Organic chemistry has chapter 5 being hydrocarbons and lipids.
Biology has practice exams in the back of the book.

Edit: I just looked at the current Ebay listings, and only the one with the green colored physics books is current. The majority are at least five years old. That is always a major issue with Ebay, as they are often book resellers who don't know what it is they are selling. If that auction does not work out, keep an eye out at SDN classifieds. That has proven to be the best place to buy used BR books for years.
How bad is it if the Physics book has chapter 10 as Light & Optics? And if organic chemistry has chapter 5 as Lipids not hydrocarbons and lipids?

How bad is it if the Physics book has chapter 10 as Light & Optics? And if organic chemistry has chapter 5 as Lipids not hydrocarbons and lipids?

If the organic book simply says "Lipids", that is good.

The splitting of Light and Optics in the latest versions of physics isn't necessarily what is important, it's that material that is no longer tested may be present in that older version. If you are using a version with one chapter for that topic, then your book contains solids and a few other topics since removed or reduced.

Reactions: 1 user
This set of books will help you overcome the challenge of passing MCAT Exam. The books and their content are designed and compiled by the experts of the field, Kaplan. 350 questions in each of these books in addition to numerous online practice questions prepare you comprehensively to appear for MCAT. Charts, diagrams, graphs and other colored and 3-D illustrations focus on important information that can be easily and quickly understood in visual form. All the topics mostly tested by AAMC are covered in all the books in this set. Experienced medical doctors, Kaplan instructors, and skillful editors collectively made sure to systematically groom you in every subject.