question about LORs and dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sn00pygrrl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I probably already know the answer to this, but thought I would check in. :)

I have been taking post-bac classes part-time over the last 2 years and am almost done (!) I asked for and received LORs from 2 professors directly following the classes I took with them (I thought they'd remember me best that way). I made sure they each knew that I wasn't planning to apply until the 2022-23 application cycle, and they both uploaded the LORs to Interfolio, where they've been sitting for a while.

I'm assuming they dated the letters (I'm not sure since I waived my access to them). The first would have been dated Sept 2020 and the second would have been dated Feb 2021.

Question--should I reach out in advance of the application cycle to see if these 2 professors are willing to update the date on the letters to 2022? I've heard different things from different people--ranging from "it doesn't matter because AdComs can see when you took the class" to "the letters should have a date that matches the application year." What's the consensus here?

I'm fine with reaching out if I need to, but I don't want to bother busy professors with more paperwork if I don't have to. Plus, I'm not sure it would even be that easy for them to do this on Interfolio, or if they'd have to just upload a brand new letter.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!!:giggle::hardy:

Members don't see this ad.