question about liquigels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACC484

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am not a pharmacist nor am i pharmacy student but i thought maybe i could get a question answered here. if someone cannot swallow a liquigel (or any other pill) can it be broken and/or administered another way with food, etc? i've heard chemically you cannot because the ingredients were designed to be taken as the liquigel dissolves and i've heard it doesn't matter. a little insight from people who know more about this than me would be great! thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends, sometimes you can open it and put it in applesauce or something similar. Is there a chewable or liquid dosage form available? What is the drug? I'd try researching what specifically is being taken.

Most immediate release (IR) capsules or tablets can be broken or crushed. This is usually especially true if the product is scored. They generally do not taste good at all, especially antibiotics. Delayed release, sustained release, enteric-coated, extended release formulations, etc should not be crushed or broken. There are some XR tablets that can be broken in half (Toprol XL comes to mind). If you are referring to Advil liquigels, I would avoid piercing them since they can irritate the oral mucosa if they contact it. There are suspension forms of ibuprofen that are more palatable.

Facts and Comparisons online has a table of drugs that should not be broken or crushed.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, it's actually a supplement called halodrol that contains the following ingredients: Arachidonic Acid (40% In A Proprietary Fatty Acid/oil Blend), 6-OXO® (4-Etioallocholen-3, 6, 17-Trione), DHEA, 20-Hydroxy-Ecdysterone, -(-)3, 4-Divanillytetrahydrofuran.. thank you guys for the help thus far!

Liquigels are probably a PITA to open.
I think you could puncture them with a needle and pull up the contents into a syringe, like with nimodipine.

well, it's actually a supplement called halodrol that contains the following ingredients: Arachidonic Acid (40% In A Proprietary Fatty Acid/oil Blend), 6-OXO® (4-Etioallocholen-3, 6, 17-Trione), DHEA, 20-Hydroxy-Ecdysterone, -(-)3, 4-Divanillytetrahydrofuran.. thank you guys for the help thus far!

Gaspari Halodrol-50™ is the best size and strength gaining supplement currently sold that is not outright illegal or overly toxic.

I love this product description. :D Seriously.

You could probably chew it without a problem