Question about Florida residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Tall Doctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have begun researching different schools to apply to next cycle, and I was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar to me. I lived in Florida my whole life and came out to California for my undergrad. While I’m school my parents got divorced and I lost all financial assistance from my parents and declared myself independent on future tax forms and became a California resident. My father still lives in Florida and files taxes as a Florida resident. I understand there is a great deal of in state preference for Florida schools. While reading up on residency req at each Florida school, I began to wonder if I could again be considered a Florida resident by utilizing my father’s residency status and what other steps would need to be supplemented. Any insight into this process would be helpful, and I appreciate your time.
Tldr Florida boy goes to Cali school, becomes independent and Cali resident and wants to go to school in Florida b/c daddy lives there.

Members don't see this ad.

I lived in Oklahoma for the 8 years, became an official resident as soon as legally allowed, and ultimately graduated undergrad from there. However, I moved back to WV to be with family before I matriculate into medical school. I called OU and asked them about it and they said I would have to apply as an OOS student (albeit with strong state ties) because I've been living in WV for more than a year. Our situation seems relatively similar, but maybe FL has a different policy.

I lived in Oklahoma for the 8 years, became an official resident as soon as legally allowed, and ultimately graduated undergrad from there. However, I moved back to WV to be with family before I matriculate into medical school. I called OU and asked them about it and they said I would have to apply as an OOS student (albeit with strong state ties) because I've been living in WV for more than a year. Our situation seems relatively similar, but maybe FL has a different policy.
that is pretty interesting considering your prior designation as OK resident. I believe Florida schools may have different criteria, I only recently started looking into the designation criteria. I thought it was interesting that for Florida schools parent’s residency status could even affect my own status. So maybe they are unique in that regard, definitely plan on giving the admissions a call to clarify. Was just wondering if anyone on sdn knows about the specifics

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah sorry, I don't know about FL specific policies and I don't have parents who are residents of OK. Just know how my specific residency changes have affected which schools consider me in-state. Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
I think you could still declare FL residency. I believe you need a one year domicile residence but since you lived there your whole life I think you should be able to. Definitely try to get FL residency if you’re applying as it’s considered a “lucky state”

Reactions: 1 user