Question about Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AE17UD

SCPM 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about financing podiatry school that maybe some of you who have already dealt with this issue can help...

I have taken out loans to cover my undergraduate tuition and am wondering if most people consolidate their loans before entering podiatry school, or just defer the loans until after?

And a specific for Scholl: after I file FAFSA, will Scholl provide me loans to cover the remaining tuition amount or will I need to take out private loans?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

AE17UD said:
I have a few questions about financing podiatry school that maybe some of you who have already dealt with this issue can help...

I have taken out loans to cover my undergraduate tuition and am wondering if most people consolidate their loans before entering podiatry school, or just defer the loans until after?

And a specific for Scholl: after I file FAFSA, will Scholl provide me loans to cover the remaining tuition amount or will I need to take out private loans?

Thanks!

I contacted Scholl two weeks ago about the same thing. They told me that without any credit check I am sure to get $30,000 and plus $8500 sub if my credit looks good. However, it my credit does not pass they told me they could do up to $38,000 all in unsub. Keep in mind that these are federal, not private loans. Tuition is regularly $24,000 the first year and any extra would cover your living expenses, medical insurance, and books for the first year.

If you got a scholarship, that would be that much less you need to take out in loans to pay for your tuition, they wont give you that much more in living expense $$. As for undergrad loans, you may want to consolidate at a fixed interest rate. All of your loans will be deferred once you have started school this fall.

AE17UD said:

Thanks!

On the issue about consolidating your loans, you should talk to the school's financial aid advisor or other individuals who are familiar with loan consolidation about it. When I was a student, I was told to wait until I finish podiatry school to consolidate all of my loans together since I was able to defer all of my undergraduate loans (luckily, none accrued any interests during my in school deferment). I am glad that I did wait until after podiatry school because I was able to consolidate my loans at the lowest student loan interest rate. Remember, if you do decide to consolidate your loans, you should read all of the fine print. Consolidated loans from certain companies may not have exact same terms (such as deferment criteria, etc..) as your original loan. The only advantage that I could possibly see in consolidating your undergrad loan now is to lock your student loan interest rate at the current lower rate since the student loan interest rates are on the rise again.