Question about expert witnesses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read about Rosen serving as an expert witness against the ER doc that missed a case of PE - was this a one-time isolated event or is there a way to find out if he's testified against other docs in the past?

Does anyone know of a good resource to use just to read about actual ER lawsuits? I don't care about the names, I just have an interest in the legal side of EM.

Anyone ever find out what the punishment was for the doc that Rosen testified against?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a good book series called Bouncebacks that covers a lot of med-mal cases in EM. Really expensive though. See if you can convince your medical school's/residency library to get it for you if you're not an attending.

There's a good book series called Bouncebacks that covers a lot of med-mal cases in EM. Really expensive though. See if you can convince your medical school's/residency library to get it for you if you're not an attending.
$49? Maybe I'm just a rich attending.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
$49? Maybe I'm just a rich attending.

Yup. $50something for each of three black and white paperbacks? It's only priced that way because the people buying it are rich attendings. Or at least not broke interns. :)

I've read about Rosen serving as an expert witness against the ER doc that missed a case of PE - was this a one-time isolated event or is there a way to find out if he's testified against other docs in the past?

Does anyone know of a good resource to use just to read about actual ER lawsuits? I don't care about the names, I just have an interest in the legal side of EM.

Anyone ever find out what the punishment was for the doc that Rosen testified against?
There's a very good cme series by Sullivan Group that specializes in exactly this. Going over cases where people got sued, and looking back with a view of, "How not to do this," or at a minimum, "How to leave a more defendable chart behind," when the inevitable lightning strike hits.

My last EM job made us do this course, but I have to say, it was probably the best cme I've ever done. It completely changed the way I look at the EM med-Mal environment. After they go over a case, often they'll tell you if the doc won, lost or settled. On some of them, you're like, "Wha- wha- what?"

Every EM attending should do this cme. (No I do not have any stake in this company). Check it out.

https://www.thesullivangroup.com/RS...ns/high-risk-rsq-solutions/emergency-medicine

There's a very good cme series by Sullivan Group that specializes in exactly this. Going over cases where people got sued, and looking back with a view of, "How not to do this," or at a minimum, "How to leave a more defendable chart behind," when the inevitable lightning strike hits.

My last EM job made us do this course, but I have to say, it was probably the best cme I've ever done. It completely changed the way I look at the EM med-Mal environment. After they go over a case, often they'll tell you if the doc won, lost or settled. On some of them, you're like, "Wha- wha- what?"

Every EM attending should do this cme. (No I do not have any stake in this company). Check it out.

https://www.thesullivangroup.com/RS...ns/high-risk-rsq-solutions/emergency-medicine

We do the Sullivan CME at my present primary job site. It is as good as Birdstrike says, and probably twice as useful, as we all feel that BigCMG will throw you under the bus in a second.

Sounds like an intersting CME course. Do you guys think it's worth it if you're paying out of pocket instead getting it paid for? It's kinda pricey at $52 for every 2 hr module.

Sounds like an intersting CME course. Do you guys think it's worth it if you're paying out of pocket instead getting it paid for? It's kinda pricey at $52 for every 2 hr module.
Are you a resident or attending?

Some hospitals will actually buy it for your group so you can get it for free. Some claim there's data that the course reduces their liability enough to pay for itself. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's gotten the course free for more than one group.

How does the Sullivan courses compare to the ones done by Greg Henry's group? Anyone have experience in both?

I did residency at Michigan, where Greg Henry used to be based. We got the course for free at the end of 4th year, just before graduating. It is scary as hell all the crap out there that can come and bite you. It was a good course as I recall

Are you a resident or attending?

Some hospitals will actually buy it for your group so you can get it for free. Some claim there's data that the course reduces their liability enough to pay for itself. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's gotten the course free for more than one group.

Attending.
Yeah, I don't kow if I wanna spend out of pocket and we have "CME Money", but I'd rather go to a conference with that cash.