Question about Excretion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that there is a structure in invertebrates that is responsible for both reproduction and excretion. I know that cloaca has this function in the chordates class, but I am not sure what structure it would be in the invertebrates. I am thinking about nephridia present in mollusca & annelids or malpighian tubules present in arthropods& birds.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

cloaca is a general term that can be used for both verts and inverts with that function.

this is prob a bit too much for the DAT but great to know if you're taking a comparitive class.

I read somewhere that there is a structure in invertebrates that is responsible for both reproduction and excretion. I know that cloaca has this function in the chordates class, but I am not sure what structure it would be in the invertebrates. I am thinking about nephridia present in mollusca & annelids or malpighian tubules present in arthropods& birds.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Not important, you dont need to know biology at this depth.

Not important, you dont need to know biology at this depth.

I agree with Klutzy, the more you know the better, but you need to know tons for the DAT, and i don't think memorizing facts like these is the most efficient way to prep. Try to have the major concepts down.