Question About College Major

rachlovesmoony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about how a liberal arts major is looked on well by Med Schools, as long as you have all the pre-reqs, etc. Now I want your personal opinion, would it be better to do a liberal arts major, which I would enjoy, or a science major, which I would also enjoy. In other words, if I enjoy both equally, which would be better to major in?

I really can't decide, to be honest. I was thinking of majoring in a science, and then minoring in something completely unrelated, like theatre (I'm not even sure if you CAN do this...), which I am interested in, but I have no idea if it would be better to major in a liberal arts and just take the pre-reqs. Urgh. I'm just confused, in general, I think. haha. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

From a very superficial point of view, the liberal arts major would probably make you appear more well-rounded. I don't consider this a plus, though, so this shouldn't even really be a reason for you to choose a major.

If one major honestly doesn't make a difference, then perhaps to both. The truth of the matter is that by completing all of your pre-reqs, you'll already have a firm foundation for a science major. If you plan your schedule carefully, you can probably do both. The other option, as you stated, would be to choose a major and then minor in the other interest.

Which ever you are comfortable with.
If its both, then do both. If at any time you feel
its not working out remmeber, you can always
change your major. Becareful though...its always
best to find out early if something isnt working,
extremely important so you can make up anything
to graduate in time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Majoring in a science could help with some of the med school classes though right?

Majoring in a science could help with some of the med school classes though right?

i cant imagine that it would make a very significant help...probably stuff you have seen or heard before but not quite as much in detail, unless ofcourse...you took some graduate level classes in undergrad.

Many premeds say that science classes do not help that much because the depth of materials are just different comparing to college.

Majoring in science DOES make a significant difference in medical school classes. I would recommend majoring in science and minoring in liberal arts if you don't have a preference. This will put you at an advange for standardized tests and for medical school, but will keep you grounded and well rounded, and interesting. But remember that you will have to fit in some kind of research and extracurricular activities, volunteering, clinical experience in there too, so if it's too time consuming, you might just want to focus on one major. Having one major with excellent grades is better than a major + minor with average grades.

I was always told to major in what interests you and what you love and that is why I am majoring in a non-science field. Pick the one you truly love and know you will want to do well in. It doesn't make sense to spend all the money for college majoring in something just because it is supposed to look good for medical schools when you don't really enjoy it. You can always try to minor in bio or chem, but even this isn't necessary. Just plan early to make sure you can finish your pre-reqs in time for when you want to take the MCAT and apply.

Majoring in science DOES make a significant difference in medical school classes. I would recommend majoring in science and minoring in liberal arts if you don't have a preference.

I disagree. I was a science major and what was nearly the equivalent of a liberal arts minor (one class away). I had an easier time understanding 1-2 lectures in my first 2 years, it did not make a difference in the end because by the end of the lecture, everyone had learned the important bits. Other than that, there was nothing sciency that I had an advantage on.

Sure the MCAT is sciency, but all the science on that is learned in the pre-req courses or from a review course.

Having completed med school, do what you want to do, in the long run everything evens out very quickly without much fuss.