Question about CEU reporting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cara susanna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

You know how we have to complete surveys in order to get our certificate of completion for CEU trainings? Does anyone know if it still counts for CEU even if you don't do the survey and get the certificate?

I attended a CEU training and forgot to fill out the survey before the deadline, so I never got a certificate. I've emailed the people in charge asking if there's another way I can get a certificate, and never got a response. My state doesn't actually require certificates unless you get audited. Would it be okay to submit this training anyway? I did attend it, so it's not like I'd be lying. But I'm not sure if it can't count if I didn't do the survey, on the off chance I get audited. Hopefully this question makes sense. This training would account for a SIGNIFICANT amount of hours, so I don't want to not get credit when I did actually attend.

Thanks!

Edit: I should add that my state board is notoriously hard to reach and unresponsive, so asking them doesn't seem like an option.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's going to vary by state. I believe the survey primarily relates to the CE activity being accredited (and also proof of attendance), so whether you can count it will probably depend on your state regulations. For example, one of the states I'm licensed in requires that CE credits be accredited by APA or the state itself while the other state I'm licensed in does not.

In this case, if your state doesn't require that the activity be accredited, I think you may be safe counting it, since you did attend. The sticky part would be if you do get audited and have to provide proof of attendance. Hopefully the organizers would be able to at least verify that you fully attended the meeting or issue an attendance certificate even if they aren't able to issue a CE certificate, but it does seem like there could be a bit of a risk. I'd definitely try emailing or calling the activity organizers again.

If your state does require that the activity be accredited, since you didn't complete the survey, you might be out of luck there.

Reactions: 2 users
My state has gone after people that haven't been able to prove CE completion with documentation. I'd personally never give the board a reason to come after me in the event it does come up. I'd make every effort possible to get the written documentation to CYA for the org and be incredibly annoying to them by email and phone.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My state has gone after people that haven't been able to prove CE completion with documentation. I'd personally never give the board a reason to come after me in the event it does come up. I'd make every effort possible to get the written documentation to CYA for the org and be incredibly annoying to them by email and phone.
I second this. Even if I had to make up all of the hours doing crash course online study because I couldn’t get documentation from the course, it would be worth it to avoid some type of board action against me that could lead to much more time and energy and stress and I might still have to do the extra ceus anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone. I tried contacting someone else associated with the training and was able to get my certificate. Phew!

Reactions: 6 users