Question about Body Size and Becoming a OS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sykosomatik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You'll have to excuse me if this topic has already been done beforehand.

I was wondering if a person's size can in any way factor into their chances for becoming an orthopedic surgeon.

I remember walking past a group of ortho residents and attendings after they had one of their department meetings, and most of them seemed like big guys.

I am of a below average height and skinny, so I always thought that there was no point applying for ortho. Even if I was qualified with test scores and everything else equal, I feel like the douchebag PD's just wouldn't take me seriously enough to let me in their program.

My scores are more than good for Ortho, and I've never had any problem breaking bones on the cadaver in gross anatomy.

Anyways, excuse me if some of you feel this is such an assinine point to consider. But for some reason I've excluded Ortho am looking into other surgical specialities, such as CT (where I feel more fine skill is needed).

Ironically, though I'm posting this I know a doctor who is my height and is an Ortho. He does mostly knee surgeries. But he became a doctor in a different era, and so maybe such ******ed factors didn't come into play.

Anyways, thanks to anyone that actually offers me some constructive advice.

Members don't see this ad.

your size doesn't matter.
if you want to do ortho and you have good scores, go for it.

There is an actual "little person" (I think that's what we are supposed to call them no) attending orthopod, as well as more than a few tiny female residents. Size will not be the issue. However, it is such a crap shoot to get into the field that I wouldn't say that you won't have a problem matching even with the best scores and grades. You have to decide if you want it enough to risk going unmatched. Good luck deciding what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.

Ortho seems cool. But I really don't think I should have to "prove" myself to anyone for something that I have no control over, especially when I'm probably a better applicant than that person ever was.

For now, I'll just look into NS or CTS.

Thanks and good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

Ortho seems cool. But I really don't think I should have to "prove" myself to anyone for something that I have no control over, especially when I'm probably a better applicant than that person ever was.

For now, I'll just look into NS or CTS.

Thanks and good luck.

yes, you do that.:thumbup: