Question about Baylor College of Medicine / UT HSC Houston Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moomeow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a merged program between BCM and UT Houston. One thing that confuses me is that I had to apply to both BCM and UT Houston separately.

Is it truly a combined program where the curriculum is identical? Are there any differences with the support that you receive? education?

Does graduation from one program give you an advantage over the other? What will the diploma say?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is a merged program between BCM and UT Houston. One thing that confuses me is that I had to apply to both BCM and UT Houston separately.

Is it truly a combined program where the curriculum is identical? Are there any differences with the support that you receive? education?

Does graduation from one program give you an advantage over the other? What will the diploma say?

Thanks.

They are separate programs and have been for years. The PDs explained that it is a co-op between two great programs. (Unless something changes since last year) there are trivial differences between the two programs (different employer, PD, PC, pay structure, benefits)...however the curriculum mirror one another and you go on the same rotations. I would give Baylor a slight edge based on the name...but the truth is that in regards to fellowship and PM&R employers...everyone knows that they are essentially the same level of education. The benefit I guess could come in if you have a less educated Ortho employer one day.

The diploma will either say Baylor COM or UTH.

Thanks.

As one of the chief residents of the UT Houston program, I'd like to expand on what j4pac mentioned above, which is largely true. They are two separate programs that share an education/didactic curriculum including lectures, workshops, grand rounds, quality improvement program, and anatomy courses, and the experiences indeed mirror each other. As they are separate programs, you apply to each individually, interview, and rank individually. Both programs have residents rotate through TIRR and share some additional rotation sites, however, each program has some rotation sites that are not shared, but the overall experience is very similar.

Each program is administrated separately: BCM PD/PC/benefits/parking vs UT Houston PD/PC/benefits/parking. Each program has their own policies on support for resident research, conference attendance, and the like, but each program has great leadership and both programs support their residents well. BCM takes more residents each year than UT Houston, but that being said, the residents all know each other as the classes do spend a good amount of time together.

As j4pac mentioned, you will receive either a BCM or UT Houston diploma. Which program has the edge? I think that's a relative questions, in terms of what you're looking for as a resident, based on class size, hospital affiliations, leadership opportunities, etc. I think both programs are well rounded, strong in both inpatient and outpatient exposure, with motivated residents who do well and are sought after for fellowship and practice. The alumni network is strong which is another benefit. Each program has its own flair, so to speak, and I would encourage applicants to apply to both programs and evaluate each one on how it suits their educational goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to you both for taking the time to clear things up for me.

Baylor College of Medicine is better administratively. When the FICA tax refund issue came about a few years ago, Baylor got it right and Univ of Texas screwed it up.

Baylor College of Medicine is better administratively. When the FICA tax refund issue came about a few years ago, Baylor got it right and Univ of Texas screwed it up.

That was a great windfall. I was 15yrs removed, and the interest payments were huge. Paid for a new TV and then some.