Question about 3 year HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onelove4uk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a first year dental student and am considering the 3 year HPSP for Air Force. I'm not sure how deadlines work, am I already considered late...will I be competing directly with next year's first year dental students?

Also, I have been looking at many of these threads on military satisfaction/dissatisfaction. I definitely know of all the benefits, but it seems there is a drawback for each...I just don't know what they are though. Sure I won't have to deal with mal-insurance, and patients not being able to pay, but there are probably other hassles I'll have to deal with instead. Also many people have mentioned how much they loved their experience despite disliking many things. I was wondering if people would post specific things about what they did not like. I just want to know what I'm getting into...with no surprises.

Finally, this may seem dumb, but is there a difference between being deployed and being stationed overseas? I heard someone say in AF, deployment is only 6 months but someone else said you could be overseas for 1-2 years! Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to know for sure if you are late, is to contact your recruiter. They should be able to tell you what the deadlines are.

The way I look at it, is that military service isn't for everyone. I was prior enlisted and I really enjoy my practice and I enjoy some of the non-dental things I do. I get a little fed up with some of the online training I have to do each year. I don't like some of the lack on control I have when it comes to my assistant. However, those are small issues to me. Others will see them as non-starters or the proverbial final straw.

There is a difference in being deployed and being stationed overseas. You can be stationed overseas for 3-4 years. Deployments typically last 6 months.

Thanks for your response! Regarding being stationed overseas, it seems crazy that I would be potentially overseas for all 3 years of active duty. Do I get choices in where I will be stationed and is all 3-4 years in the same place or will I be in possibly different countries? I'm guessing in a deployment, there are no options.

Also could you elaborate on some of the non-dental things you do and your online training - how long do you do it, is it just once a year or multiple times etc. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to remember, it costs a significant amount of money to move you from duty station to duty station. Typical overseas assignments have a 3 year minimum tour. Some are less and it depends on whether or not you have family that goes with you. So crazy doesn't really play in this.

You have some say. You can only choose from places that have openings.

Most of the online training happens annually and its more of an annoyance than anything. My non-dental duties have included being a triage officer for mass casualty exercises and field exercises, working in education and training for the medical service, and administrative type duties. Not everyone has the same experiences, so options can be unlimited. It's a great life and a great way to practice.

Hello I am a first year dental student and am considering the 3 year HPSP for Air Force. I'm not sure how deadlines work, am I already considered late...will I be competing directly with next year's first year dental students?

Also, I have been looking at many of these threads on military satisfaction/dissatisfaction. I definitely know of all the benefits, but it seems there is a drawback for each...I just don't know what they are though. Sure I won't have to deal with mal-insurance, and patients not being able to pay, but there are probably other hassles I'll have to deal with instead. Also many people have mentioned how much they loved their experience despite disliking many things. I was wondering if people would post specific things about what they did not like. I just want to know what I'm getting into...with no surprises.

Finally, this may seem dumb, but is there a difference between being deployed and being stationed overseas? I heard someone say in AF, deployment is only 6 months but someone else said you could be overseas for 1-2 years! Thanks a lot.

If you were to consider Army you could still be considered for a 4-year scholarship or a 3.5 year at the very least.

If you are a 3 year HPSP student, is there less of a chance you will be accepted into an AEGD, say compared to a 4 year HPSP? I would guess that all the 4 year students have an advantage because the air force would get more out of them to give them the AEGD.

If you are a 3 year HPSP student, is there less of a chance you will be accepted into an AEGD, say compared to a 4 year HPSP? I would guess that all the 4 year students have an advantage because the air force would get more out of them to give them the AEGD.

From what I have seen and heard, most HPSP students aren't jumping at the oppurtunity to attend AEGD's since it's now a neutral year. I'm on a three year HPSP student and have never heard mention of it making any difference as far as AEGD/GPR's or residencies are concerned.