Quantifying Job Market Difficulties and predicting ahead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As the article mentions, it was Ed Halperin who talked about *his* experience being a bottom-feeding catfish. One of the biggest names in our field, traveling hat in hand from academic center to academic center, saying "can i haz dean?" and all the centers saying "nah bruh you rad onc you weak."
Oh my I LOL’d so hard. We had a small small small sliver of a chance to be a respected specialty with the caliber of students we attracted. Now all hope is gone since the caliber of applicants are going down. We don’t have any power in medicine, can’t admit patients, can’t take care of sepsis, can’t fix anything in the OR, ask med Onc to take care of all inpatient med needs, ask surgeons to take care of many of OUR toxicities, and send many of our best to satellite clinics. Sorry for the rant, but these academics with their dishonesty or dangerous ignorance at best fooling gullible med students with only clinical considerations and not real life ones need to be laughed at in “anonymous corners of the internet.”

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
1)Sure, but then astra zeneca should hire the doc as an employee. Can’t see them doing this with a medical oncologist out of training- they would pay them an actual salary?
Don't have to be out of training, can do as a resident.

Med onc has a bunch of these

sometimes I think we get more pleasure complaining about stuff rather than saying, gee that actually could be good

Reactions: 2 users
When I graduated from residency, I applied all over the country and all practice settings. I got two offers, both "academic", both similar pay, and in two wildly different parts of the country. I took the one on the beach because... Why not?

I could have negotiated into probably 2-3 more offers inside and outside academics, but the pay was pretty similar both at hire and full production, and this was in several parts of the country including upper midwest.

Several years into attendinghood and I would say that nothing has changed. I get the occasional discussion even 3-5 years in that sounds exactly like what I was discussing when I graduated (the $300k discussions are particularly insulting now). I stopped looking though, it's a huge distraction from moving forward and was just getting me nowhere.

N=1 I know, but this is the reality on the ground.
I graduated in mid 1990s. Had 2 offers, both pp and partnership after 3 years. One was in Las Vegas and offered 250k but working 12 hours a day and 5 days a week. 2nd offer was in SoCal north of LA. 125k and 4-4.5 days a week, 9 hours a day. So I took less money to stay in California. 6 years later no partnership.

I was mad, and madness makes you do crazy things. So I bought my own medallion and started a practice across the street. Borrowed against a house, had an old linac, and 9 mos in was treating 10 pts. The hospital and doc tried to kick me off the medical staff. Was barely making it but did not give up. Won enough battles to hang in and build a new center, risking everything I had again 5 years later.

15 years later, treating 30 a day, realizing how lucky I have been and love the work. Compared to the rest of the world, 300k a year would be a great living, but once you make 2-3 x that, accepting less for the same work is hard.

My one regret was in around 1998 or so Apple was selling at $6 per share. I was going to buy 10,000 shares but my bro in law talked me out of it. Mind you this was pre I-pod, pre I phone etc. Taking into account a 7x split and a later 4x split if I held all the way through ( which I doubt I would have the balls to do) I would now have 280,000 shares x 135 = 28.8 million.

So stop worrying too much about the future of rad Onc and just find the next Apple. You guys are all AOA so if you stick to good work , there will always be a way! This stupid virus has reminded me that life is short. Control what you can, then let go and be grateful you have work! The whiners at ASTRO are looking out for themselves and hard to blame them as silly as they blame us for students avoiding their trap. Rad Onc is still the greatest field in medicine and being an intimate part of a patients team while they fight cancer is certainly a privilege.

One reason I still see my patients in person for the consult. Only now my waiting room is used for consults. The patients come in one at a time through texts via the back door. No patients or staff have had COVID from the practice. Despite all the problems in our field I’m still an optimist. If patients are being cured with pancreas cancer, there is still hope for our field!

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in mid 1990s. Had 2 offers, both pp and partnership after 3 years. One was in Las Vegas and offered 250k but working 12 hours a day and 5 days a week. 2nd offer was in SoCal north of LA. 125k and 4-4.5 days a week, 9 hours a day. So I took less money to stay in California. 6 years later no partnership.

I was mad, and madness makes you do crazy things. So I bought my own medallion and started a practice across the street. Borrowed against a house, had an old linac, and 9 mos in was treating 10 pts. The hospital and doc tried to kick me off the medical staff. Was barely making it but did not give up. Won enough battles to hang in and build a new center, risking everything I had again 5 years later.

15 years later, treating 30 a day, realizing how lucky I have been and love the work. Compared to the rest of the world, 300k a year would be a great living, but once you make 2-3 x that, accepting less for the same work is hard.

My one regret was in around 1998 or so Apple was selling at $6 per share. I was going to buy 10,000 shares but my bro in law talked me out of it. Mind you this was pre I-pod, pre I phone etc. Taking into account a 7x split and a later 4x split if I held all the way through ( which I doubt I would have the balls to do) I would now have 280,000 shares x 135 = 28.8 million.

So stop worrying too much about the future of rad Onc and just find the next Apple. You guys are all AOA so if you stick to good work , there will always be a way! This stupid virus has reminded me that life is short. Control what you can, then let go and be grateful you have work! The whiners at ASTRO are looking out for themselves and hard to blame them as silly as they blame us for students avoiding their trap. Rad Onc is still the greatest field in medicine and being an intimate part of a patients team while they fight cancer is certainly a privilege.

One reason I still see my patients in person for the consult. Only now my waiting room is used for consults. The patients come in one at a time through texts via the back door. No patients or staff have had COVID from the practice. Despite all the problems in our field I’m still an optimist. If patients are being cured with pancreas cancer, there is still hope for our field!

So you made your money already...awesome.

the rest of us should get the Robin Hood app.

• Haha
RadOncCatfish.jpg

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users

More self destructive behavior from one of our own! Seriously we should be taking the belts away from ROs they may try to hang themselves

• Angry
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

More self destructive behavior from one of our own! Seriously we should be taking the belts away from ROs they may try to hang themselves

encourage all to speak out against this trial

In addition to common sense, the data is on our side to not run this trial

• Love
I KNEW IT! That's why this board was so quiet Tue - Wed, everyone was getting rich on Robin Hood / GME / AMC. You guys should have told me!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with the science. It is the preoccupation with eliminating xrt, while expanding residencies, trying to recruit minorities, and spouting garbage about radonc taking a leadership role (while decreasing our treatment role).

Absolutely not necessary trial. They really have nothing better to run?

Is there a trial for 30/5 APBI versus AI versus 30/5 plus AI?

Please NRG run that one.

If I know Debra, she doesn't want to take her AI for 5 years, she wants the healing rays instead.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don’t have a problem with the science. It is the preoccupation with eliminating xrt, while expanding residencies, trying to recruit minorities, and spouting garbage about radonc taking a leadership role (while decreasing our treatment role).

I agree with preoccupation of eliminating RT and expanding residencies

I have a big problem with the science b/c trial after trial shows RT omission is inferior with LR (primary endpoint) and is never powered to say no diff in OS or DFS etc

RE leadership roles - I think we should def pursue that, but RO is clearly divided into multiple factions. Ones that are looking to run trials for promotion, while others trying to promote the field, etc

Is there a trial for 30/5 APBI versus AI versus 30/5 plus AI?

Please NRG run that one.

If I know Debra, doesn't want to take her AI for 5 years, she wants the healing rays instead.

@BobbyHeenan closest trial is EUROPA trial -> BCS -> RT vs AI

Absolutely not necessary trial. They really have nothing better to run?

Yup....

Members don't see this ad :)
As they should. They don't undercut their entire field solely for promotions...

No they don’t. They miraculously found a way to promote themselves without also putting themselves out of bussiness like it’s a badge of honor

Reactions: 1 users

I dont treat breast but this seriously pisses me off. Our field is filled with people who want to write off our own single modality. Why do we always do this? so frustrating. It is time to actively fight this. I will not enroll in a single de-escalatiom write off XRT trial. Neither should you!

Reactions: 10 users
The field is in tremendously bad shape when you see even what the younger generation are tweeting.
It is like being in a carnival fun house. I'd feel bad, but they are tying their own rope.

• Haha
The field is in tremendously bad shape when you see even what the younger generation are tweeting.
It is like being in a carnival fun house. I'd feel bad, but they are tying their own rope.

i feel bad for the current PGY3-5s

wheels really spinning off and nobody truly warned us in 2016ish outside of Blood Bath thread

Even that thread really took off later on

either way, this is why I’m thankful for SDN

Current students have been appropriately forewarned at this point. It’s up to them now to decide what’s best for them

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Care to expound as to what the issues with what the younger generation are tweeting? And how are they 'tying their own rope'?

Reactions: 1 user
Care to expound as to what the issues with what the younger generation are tweeting? And how are they 'tying their own rope'?

Usual suspects. #radoncrocks crew. People supportive of *everything*. I think it's almost pictures of women and linac time, soon, isn't it? No need for names, they know who they are. If you say everything is great, if you don't speak forcefully against expansion, if you just feed people crap, you are tying your own rope.

This trial does not have equipoise between the two arms based on currently-available data, and I would consider it unethical to enroll patients on the trial. I also consider it unethical the trial was opened to begin with.

Reactions: 5 users
I think
Usual suspects. #radoncrocks crew. People supportive of *everything*. I think it's almost pictures of women and linac time, soon, isn't it? No need for names, they know who they are. If you say everything is great, if you don't speak forcefully against expansion, if you just feed people crap, you are tying your own rope.
cutesy, BFF stuff, stuffed animals and mentoring crap?

Ah, OK. Haven't seen a ton of that recently, FWIW.

Just remember those Medallion taxi drivers...remember them well.

The Board Cert from the ABR is your taxi medallion. Feature it proudly but just know it’s worthless and no one will be coming to bail you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This trial does not have equipoise between the two arms based on currently-available data, and I would consider it unethical to enroll patients on the trial. I also consider it unethical the trial was opened to begin with.

Looks like it was partially based on this analysis combining prior trials in a similar cohort of patients. Wouldn’t consider a 9% absolute increased risk of recurrence at 10 years without RT negligible. Not sure what this study adds or how it greatly benefits patients with shorter courses of RT available nowadays.

Last edited:
I have an M3 right now, amazing Step 1 score (98 percentile), interested in radonc.
She shadowed me for the last 3 years.
I can set her up with top 20 programs in the US, but she just said no to radonc, knowing what is going on in the field.
Smart girl, she may go into surgonc or hemonc but not radonc.

PS: The so-called "radonc leadership" is completely disconnected from the millennial gen.
A little too late, yrs of wandering, wrong focus, infighting, then BAM the pandemic hit, the PERFECT storm!

Reactions: 7 users
I have an M3 right now, amazing Step 1 score (98 percentile), interested in radonc.
She shadowed me for the last 3 years.
I can set her up with top 20 programs in the US, but she just said no to radonc, knowing what is going on in the field.
Smart girl, she may go into surgonc or hemonc but not radonc.

PS: The so-called "radonc leadership" is completely disconnected from the millennial gen.
A little too late, yrs of wandering, wrong focus, infighting, then BAM the pandemic hit, the PERFECT storm!
For students like that, and with opportunities like this out there................
ex9ZiIA.png

• Wow
Probably a night shift job. They're one week on, one week off around here. Some places pay a premium for it because it's hard to find people who will work just nights.

Probably a night shift job. They're one week on, one week off around here. Some places pay a premium for it because it's hard to find people who will work just nights.

can't blame them....

i don’t miss nights at all from intern year

good for those who are able to do it!

Agree with posters this trial is waste of time and resources. The real trial is to have a third arm with RT alone without endocrine therapy. If they were interested in QOL, short course partial breast vs 5/10/20 years of endocrine therapy would win every time

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Agree with posters this trial is waste of time and resources. The real trial is to have a third arm with RT alone without endocrine therapy. If they were interested in QOL, short course partial breast vs 5/10/20 years of endocrine therapy would win every time

How in the world can you treat breast, actually see patients....and do this trial and not include that arm? It’s in fathomable to me.

Nearly across the board all my 30/5 follow ups are NED, great cosmesis, but we spend our time talking about their AI misery chasing hot flashes and joint aches with other meds, dexa scans and bone meds, vagina dryness, libido, et al.

I’m getting pissed just typing this.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
How in the world can you treat breast, actually see patients....and do this trial and not include that arm? It’s in fathomable to me.

Nearly across the board all my 30/5 follow ups are NED, great cosmesis, but we spend our time talking about their AI misery chasing hot flashes and joint aches with other meds, dexa scans and bone meds, vagina dryness, libido, et al.

I’m getting pissed just typing this.

Agreed. Total lack of equipoise

I will not recommend this trial to any patient.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I just looked at md Anderson rad onc alumni list..it’s amazing they continue to take 3-4 of the graduating residents every year. Their department is enormous

Wonder whether they can continue to take 3-4 of their own residents every year..
Math says no. Going to create so much competition within the class, because there will be so few opportunities outside the system. Going to put a lot of stress on the spouses, families...

Maybe they’ll hire a few and then rescind the offers ?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
“Theres a right way and then there is the _______ way!!!!”

• Haha

Evansville, Indiana is back!!

srsly...how bad is this job where it gets posted EVERY DAMN year???
That's a hospital job. Other one was with McKesson/US oncology i think.

Clearly no one a fan of the home state of Mike Pence though for some reason...

• Haha